Aeroscreen - To Bond, Rivet Or Bolt?

Guest HS88

Guest HS88

Anyone who's fitted an aeroscreen, have you bonded, riveted or bolted it to the car and which methods are the best?

I'm considering some large bolts glued to the underside of the screen and some wing nuts to lock down. Thoughts?

Thanks

Guest scrabster

mines fixed with 3 bolts into rivnuts, 2 outside ones were the bolts for the sva mirrors which were ditched so utilised the same holes.

regards,jess.

Guest HS88

Thanks Richard and Jess.

I guess I'm hoping to be able to try and use the existing holes rather than hack into the car more.

Waiting for the aeroscreen to arrive tomorrow fingers crossed!

Guest jasonmorris

Mine is drilled and then used some nice round head self tappers with a piece of edging rubber along leading edge to create a seal.

Took about half an hour to fit.

Jason

Guest HS88

Thanks Jason. Sounds fairly simple. I think I'm going to end up selling the windscreen and permanently attaching the aeroscreen. Seems like the best option.

Guest jasonmorris

You'll find the aero screen will not fit perfectly and will need fixing in quite a few places in order to pull it close to the scuttle.

Jason

i fiberglassed some plates to the underneath of it with some 6mm bolts through the plate.

these then went through the pre made holes for the windscreen demisting bits and then secured with a long piece of ally angle on the other side with a piece of rubber sandwiched between it.

looks quite good in my opinion with no visible fixings

Guest HS88

Thanks Steve, that's similar to my idea. Was going to fibre glass some bolts and use the washer jet holes possibly..will have to see when it arrives, how it fits since its still not here!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hammy360

I'm gonna do this so will be watching this post as I dont want to drill/rivet the scuttle as I also want the option switch to having a screen

The aero screen arrived at the end of last week but it's a struggle to get it to stretch and I doubt I could get it to fit without riveting or bolting all along the edge.

I might try to modify with some extra fibre glass and see what I can do.

I had the same trouble with my car being wider than the aeroscreen, but I knew that when I bought the screen (it was a bargin carbon fibre screen but made for MK's, locosts etc....).

In the end, the only solution I could come up with which i was happy with was to cut the screen in half, then I fit the drivers side and passenger's side seperatly leaving a gap (approx 4") in the middle.

To bridge the gap, I cut a peice of black mesh and bonded in. I wish the screen didn't have to be cut to fit the car, but I'm happy with the solution (you can just make it out if you zoom into my photos).

Thanks Richard. That did cross my mind and I think it might be the way to go. I still want to be able to swap it for the windscreen for resale value I think..when I get my car back on the road I'll pop over and pay you a visit if that's still ok.

What sort of mesh did you use to join the two halves? and how much fibre glass did you use roughly?

I'm going to have to buy it all from scratch so could do with an idea of how much to buy.

Thanks!