Essex V6 Engine Upgrade

Guest U174sb2

Guest U174sb2

Hi

I purchased a built Robin 2B Plus from a friend last year and this year I am working to replace the standard 1.8l Pinto engine for a Ford Essex v6. Has anyone out there already made this conversion as I am now getting to the difficult part of making it fit in the engine bay.

Before I start changing things around so that it fits, has anyone got any advice?

Many thanks

Mine is actually a cologne V6 but very similar size wise. And mine is in an S7 not a 2b but mine is smaller . Make sure lump sits as FAR back as it will go. Retain manifolds for something to use for exhaust extraction to keep costs down. Whereabouts are you ?? Get yourself to Newark in a couple of weeks to have a nosey round. There was an essex V6 in a locost in the club. Oh and try and fit engine and box in together. Also scrap any existing prop and get one made. once fitted just measure flange to flange or flange to slider at rear of box and someone will make you up a decent balanced prop. Not worth shortening an existing one. depending on 2b model you may have to remove the plough tube under the sump and reweld around it.

Good luck... and enjoy the torque once its in.......

2.8 and 2.3 cologne V6 have siamese exhaust ports so the exhause manifolds are smaller than the Essex (and 2.9 Cologne V6) which have 3 exhaust ports. I'm pretty sure you can swap the manifolds from side to side so you could potentially use a stubby cast manifold and have the outlet pointing forward and then curve the downpipe down and rearwards to clear the steering column - which I think is what TVR did.

Neglected Cologne engines have a habit of spinning the cam bearings which cuts off the oil supply up to ther rockers leading to accelerated wear and noise so be wary of engines that you can't hear running. You can check the rockers if you pull a cover off, back off a tappet adjuster and slide the rocker arm sidewards against the spring - if it doesn't slide or feels loose, it's probably knackered.

2.3 found in Granadas and Cortinas, all carburettor

2.8 found in Granadas in carb and injection form and in Capris in injection form only. Early cars are 4 speed, later ones (post '83ish) were 5 speed Type 9. The 4 speed box is much stronger and will take hefty abuse unlike the 5 speed which can be problematic if pushed.

The cologne engine is a good, torquey, free revving engine, it's just a pity it's a little on the heavy side. Also it's not especially cheap to tune.

Guest U174sb2

Is this the engine Ford placed in the Capri?

2.8 and 2.3 cologne V6 have siamese exhaust ports so the exhause manifolds are smaller than the Essex (and 2.9 Cologne V6) which have 3 exhaust ports. I'm pretty sure you can swap the manifolds from side to side so you could potentially use a stubby cast manifold and have the outlet pointing forward and then curve the downpipe down and rearwards to clear the steering column - which I think is what TVR did.

Neglected Cologne engines have a habit of spinning the cam bearings which cuts off the oil supply up to ther rockers leading to accelerated wear and noise so be wary of engines that you can't hear running. You can check the rockers if you pull a cover off, back off a tappet adjuster and slide the rocker arm sidewards against the spring - if it doesn't slide or feels loose, it's probably knackered.

Mine is actually a cologne V6 but very similar size wise. And mine is in an S7 not a 2b but mine is smaller . Make sure lump sits as FAR back as it will go. Retain manifolds for something to use for exhaust extraction to keep costs down. Whereabouts are you ?? Get yourself to Newark in a couple of weeks to have a nosey round. There was an essex V6 in a locost in the club. Oh and try and fit engine and box in together. Also scrap any existing prop and get one made. once fitted just measure flange to flange or flange to slider at rear of box and someone will make you up a decent balanced prop. Not worth shortening an existing one. depending on 2b model you may have to remove the plough tube under the sump and reweld around it.

Good luck... and enjoy the torque once its in.......

BigLee isthe man to talk to ,search in members mower man

2.3 found in Granadas and Cortinas, all carburettor

2.8 found in Granadas in carb and injection form and in Capris in injection form only. Early cars are 4 speed, later ones (post '83ish) were 5 speed Type 9. The 4 speed box is much stronger and will take hefty abuse unlike the 5 speed which can be problematic if pushed.

The cologne engine is a good, torquey, free revving engine, it's just a pity it's a little on the heavy side. Also it's not especially cheap to tune.

Thanks for the replies. I will arrange to go to the Newark show to see if I can spot such conversionsas I live in Chesterfield so its not far. I have the type 5 gearbox that came with the engine. They came from a capri mark one and I believe the engine to be 3.1 litres and taken out of a working car earlier this year and I have the 3 to 1 manifolds so only need to get the down pipes sorted. The engine has been rebuilt and I plan to fit engine and box together and shorten the prop shaft and modify the chassis to fit the essex in the engine bay. I am keen to find a place to put the servo and other ancillaries. I hope to get some answers from Newark and forum replies. The aim for the project is to get some torque for some fun driving rather than racing and top end speed. I promised my eldest a track day in it as a birthday present but yet to agree which year! Hopefully sooner rather than later. He wants to take it to the Nurburgring though so perhaps I need to plan more modifications first.

Many thanks

Hi Simon. Iw oudl post some pictures on here of the engine and box. The Capri 3.0 Essex and I assume you will have a rebored one of these (the RS3100 engine used by ford is as rare as hens teeth) would originally been mated to a 4 speed box. I stand to be corrected but I dont think the Essex engined Capris were ever fitted with a 5 speed. The Later Colgne engines Capries/ Granada's etc were fitted with a V6 "version" of the Type 9. ( Note also fitted to Mk 1 Sierra XR4i). So it has probably been modified previously, It is Essex if 3 to 1 manifolds ( Unless spomeone has installed US 3 branch heads on a cologne block but unusual). Personally I would not shorten the prop - False economy, By all means cut one down to get teh right length and then take it to a prop manufacturer and get one made with greasable UJ's either end. Mine was £115 but that is about 4 years ago. A welded prop spinning at speed next to my left leg would concern me. Well it would with my welding........ Just my view. You could be a master welder for all I know :). I will be at Newark. Pm me if you want phone number.

Guest U174sb2

Hi Simon. Iw oudl post some pictures on here of the engine and box. The Capri 3.0 Essex and I assume you will have a rebored one of these (the RS3100 engine used by ford is as rare as hens teeth) would originally been mated to a 4 speed box. I stand to be corrected but I dont think the Essex engined Capris were ever fitted with a 5 speed. The Later Colgne engines Capries/ Granada's etc were fitted with a V6 "version" of the Type 9. ( Note also fitted to Mk 1 Sierra XR4i). So it has probably been modified previously, It is Essex if 3 to 1 manifolds ( Unless spomeone has installed US 3 branch heads on a cologne block but unusual). Personally I would not shorten the prop - False economy, By all means cut one down to get teh right length and then take it to a prop manufacturer and get one made with greasable UJ's either end. Mine was £115 but that is about 4 years ago. A welded prop spinning at speed next to my left leg would concern me. Well it would with my welding........ Just my view. You could be a master welder for all I know :). I will be at Newark. Pm me if you want phone number.

I will be at Newark this today and would welcome a chat. My number is 07988772541