Ignition Wiring.

Guest weavey

Guest weavey

Evening. I am planning on starting the wiring tomorrow on my Exmo. I was going to do it in stages. Starting with the ignition side first. Just wondering if any one can point me in the right direction with a diagram of sorts. I am using a none ford ignition switch.A start button. It is a 2.0 litre pinto with the ignition module with the 6 wires.A rev counter will be fitted.There is no wiring present at all. I have bought all the bits.ie Wire,spade connections,fuse box,relays ect. Any help would be much appreciated as electrics are not my strong point. Thanks in advance.Steve.

Guest peter2b2002

is it a carb or efi, from a new fuse box on my efi, I ran 1 wire from the start button to the starter, another to the new fuel pump switch , you will need a 12v feed to the alternator via a bulb, and another to the coil,

peter2b

Guest weavey

Its a carb set up. Im more concerned about wiring the module. ie knowing where the six wires go. A diagram would be really helpfull. Cheers Steve.

Guest weavey

Basic amplifier wiring is as the pic below. Standard ignition switch. If you have the plug for the amplifier it makes getting the right wires in the right order a bit easier.

Nigel

Thanks for that Nigel. That makes things look a bit clearer. I will make a start. No doubt alot more questions to come.Cheers Steve.

Seems to be the convention that the wire from ignition live to the coil doesn't go through fuse box on cars older than 20 years. (On modern cars everything goes through the fuse box twice and visits several computer modules before it's allowed to do anything.) I have just noticed the labelling of the ignition switch terminals is wrong. 10 should be labelled 30. Don't know how that slipped through. Sorry.

I don't know how your ignition switch/start button are wired. Something like shown. If the start button is rated for 20 amps or so then it will fire the solenoid itself. If low rated then the start button has to fire a relay which fires the solenoid. Likewise it would be sensible to fit a 60 amp relay fired by the ignition switch to supply the ignition live busbar in the fusebox. When you draw those in the picture starts to look messy and complicated.

Nigel

post-21-0-49010300-1339277807_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-84685700-1339279982_thumb.jpg