My 1St Post, Hi. Introducing My Cosworth Powered Robin Hood Project

Guest Madda

Guest Madda

6.jpg

My name is Joe and I am from South Wales, I have built many high power cars but never ventured into the world of kitcars before. I hope it is not a move I regret. So far it's been an emotional 24 hours. I sold my Mx5 Turbo and this now sits in the garage in its place. I will really miss the Mx5 but once this is up to scratch I hope it will more than fill the gap! I am not very well briefed on Ford stuff but have researched enough to know this is a good specification and as it is pulling along such little weight it isn’t stressed therefore I really hope it’s relatively trouble free.

Up until a few weeks ago, as you would expect it has always been garaged, but after being bought by a arsehole trader it has been living outside under a cover. Combine this with the rain we have had and it wasn’t really a surprise that some electrical gremlins arose upon collection.

Firstly the immoboliser had taken on some water, and the battery had gone flat so the car refused to start. This was resolved and she then fired and idled very smoothly with a sweet sounding engine.

Thinking we had sorted it I pulled off the drive to be greeted by lots of pops and bangs, and then she stalled. We jumped it and again she idled lovely but as soon as it came under load it struggled. Despite 4 hours of fault tracing we couldn’t fix it and I ended up coming home like this after things got quite heated with the seller. :(

182182_10151842079775183_246558435_n.jpg

Not all is lost though ;) I have been in touch with the guy who built it and he has some good references. The spec is confirmed as follows:

Engine

Fully rebuilt Ford Cosworth YB engine (8k miles since build)

Bottom end Lightened and balanced with overbore to 2.1

ARP bolts

Group A head gasket and head bolts

4x4 Cosworth exhaust manifold

New T34 with 0.48 exhaust housing

2.5inch exhaust

803 injectors

Stage 3 chip

3b MAP sensor

BD10 cams with vernier pulleys

4x4 intercooler

Bailey dump valve

3core custom radiator

Group A fuel pump with swirl pot fuel tank

High capacity baffled sump

Transmission

T5 gearbox rebuilt 8K miles ago.

New Cosworth clutch 6k miles ago.

7.5 Cosworth lsd rebuilt 8K miles ago.

High ratio clutch pedal modification

Braking

Cosworth 4 pot calipers with 285mm front discs and 275mm rears

Bias bar on brakes

Braided lines

Chassis

Front hubs re machined. Quicker steering response and uber lock

Avo height and damping adjustable shocks

Rollbar forms part of the chassis

BK Racing 15" wheels

Toyo rubber

Interior

Cobra Monaco seats

Sabelt harnesses

Caerbont / Smiths gauge set

Clifford Alarm/Immobiliser

Some pics of it after a wet ride home:

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The initial plan was to use it for a weekend at Blyton Park and maybe the rest of the summer as she is before taking it off the road to be dismantled and rebuilt, tidying up bolts, getting bits powder coated etc as needed, but given I hate anything unreliable the wiring is going to have to be tidied up and possibly redone sooner rather than later to stop any issues going forward.

There are LOTS of styling choices which need changing on the car, but I think all the mechanicals are there and in good condition. Hopefully it will be worth the effort and I won't regret parting with the 5.

Any old school Ford nuts in the house? Any advice, guidance, knowledge of the car would be massively appreciated.

Guest Deathbystan

Hi Joe, 1st post from me also 8) . Was that same RH that was on Ebay last week? Can't imagine there's that many around with the same setup as you have there! I'm a little jealous too lol. I'm sure you'll get all the problems ironed out without too much hassle.

Hi to everyone else, good to be here and I hope to meet you all at some point at a show or 2 /meet :D

Guest Neil.Pritchard

Hi Joe , I live in west wales Carmarthan , and have a RH 2B running on a 1.8 pinto with ZX6R bike carbs . Welcome to the club , there are a few of us around in wales Bridgend , Cardiff , Merthy, Welshpool. Hope to see you around sometime .

Cheers Neil.

Guest ant.b

good to see another cossy 2b turn up , sounds like a good spec there , so should go well enough once you ve sorted the electrics out ,hope to see it at a show for a look at

ant

Guest webby

hi

glad to see theres several loonies out there im currently in the final throws of my cossy conversion im trying to fit the 2wd cossy 4 pot calipers but the offset is totally wrong to make them fit the sierra hubs ive got cossy hubs but the bottom ball joint is wrong does yours have taper fit ball joints ie the nut on top or parallel fit ie the the bolt horizontal any chance of a few pics of the caliper fitment and bottom ball joint/hub many thanks nick

Guest Ian & Carole

I can think of no reason what so ever why anyone would want to take that car out in the wet !!!!!!!!!

Maybe not take it OUT in the wet but like most of us bring it home in the wet

Guest Johan1

Hi Joe , I reside in western wales Carmarthan , and have a RH 2B operating on a 1.8 pinto with ZX6R bicycle carbohydrates . Welcome to the team , there are a few of us around in wales Bridgend , Cardiff , Merthy, Welshpool. Wish to see you around sometime .

I would fit tie bars if they are not all ready fitted Other wise a nice car mower man

Its a 2b with the double wishbone front suspension so it doesn't have/need tie bars like the series 3, unless i am mistaken.

Tie bars are to replace the antiroll bar setup on the series 3 aren't they? I think some people have managed to add the standard sierra anti roll bar on the rear axle but i don't think its that common to have anti-roll bars on the 2b.

what would be useful is to add longer dummy struts to fix the geometry problems with the standard 2b suspension. Search the forum for 'dummy strut' etc and you'll see what i mean

As for the car looks very nice so far, should be pretty quick and eat 911's for well most meals of the day.

hth

Guest mower man

Its a 2b with the double wishbone front suspension so it doesn't have/need tie bars like the series 3, unless i am mistaken.

Tie bars are to replace the antiroll bar setup on the series 3 aren't they? I think some people have managed to add the standard sierra anti roll bar on the rear axle but i don't think its that common to have anti-roll bars on the 2b.

what would be useful is to add longer dummy struts to fix the geometry problems with the standard 2b suspension. Search the forum for 'dummy strut' etc and you'll see what i mean

As for the car looks very nice so far, should be pretty quick and eat 911's for well most meals of the day.

hth

Sorry my error you don't need the tie bars mick :sorry:

Guest Madda

Just a small update, the cambelt, tensioner and all fluids have now been changed.

IMG_2186.jpg

More importantly the complete rewire is now 99.5% finished! New engine loom and virtually all the supporting wiring has been replaced. No spade connectors now, just solder and heat shrink wrap :)

Before :cry:

8cf60a79.jpg

After :D

IMG_2178.jpg

It is going to be cutting it fine, but she might just make it to the track this weekend!