Quick Mot Question?

Guest Joe Green

Guest Joe Green

Ok so I'm given to believe some of you guys are quite well versed in the ways of MOT tests?

So my question is, my car failed the other day on the headlight beam being too low.

Now the little roller on the dash that selects how high the lights go was on 0 out of 3, so as low as they can go, when i picked it up from the MOT place.

Now do i need to adjust the whole headlight assembly itself or do i need to set them to a higher number on the dial before the retest?

Many thanks in advance

Joe

Guest jhfozzy

^^^This. 0 is the highest setting (for an unladen car), 3 is the lowest setting (for a fully laden car).

You need to get it adjusted mechanically up. To be honest though, the tester sounds like a jobsworth as normally they just adjust it for you seeing as though they've got the beam setter out anyway.

Edited by Fozzy

Guest arf!!

no just adjust the head light. the dial on the dash is for when you have a lot of weight in the car or a trailer on. give man at garage a fiver (£) money talks. and tell him to adjust them. what car is it on?

Edited by arf!!

Guest Joe Green

Tis on a 51 plate seat leon.

Tis a rural garage, when it failed on that and the rear brakes in 2 bad a condition to test he quoted me £300 for the test and the bits to be corrected.

Just done the rear brake change myself £50 grand total. So just guess lie give it to him to tweak b4 the test.

Guest Mr_Frosty

Ok it is a bit tight that he failed your car for that. most of them just adjust it as they do it as not many people/places have beam setters.

Hopefully you get free re-test.

good diy way is to park up facing a wall say 4 feet away turn lights on, then just move the one that failed so it is near enough level with the other. Using the little screw may need an allen key.

headlight.jpg

Look like this.

Guest MarkB

We fail headlamp aims of the vehicle fails on any other item, as we are constantly reminded by vosa, if headlamp aims never fail or testers stop registering that they did fail but were adjusted to allow a pass then the beam check will become a thing of the past, I certainly would not be happy if this happened, the amount of cars you see on the road nowadays whose headlamps blind you as they approach is getting daft, this unfortunatly is down to the manufacturers making it so difficult to change a simple headlamp.bulb........ People still try and fit them wrong.