Sticking A Turbo On The Zetec.

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

well i got the GTIR plenum yesterday and offered it up to the throttle bodies, (ive removed the origional backplate for the airfilter so i can use it as a rough template for making a new backplate, and as already suggested there are one or two clearance issues:

379a3f6a.jpg

df867027.jpg

fde0bbca.jpg

as you can see the inlet of the plenum overhangs the chassis rail, meaning the bonnet as it stands at the moment will not fit, this leaves me with a few options :

cut out the front portion of the bonnet, and have the air intake pipework coming out the side of the car....might look ok if the pipework is done correctly and is all chromed.

or cut a hole and cover it up with some kind of fancy bonnet scoop...

i have tried turning the plenum the other way around, so that the inlet would be at the rear of the engine, but sadly the pedal box gets in the way, so that is a no go sadly. even if it did work, it would make pipework a nightmare.

or scrap the plenum chamber and nock the idea on the head! any one got any suggestions?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mower man

Personaly I would get this summer out of the way get to know the car before any major mods are even attempted,I know you have had a bit of a torrid time ,use what you have and enjoy it ,if I,m poking my nose in tell me but the comments are meant for the best mower man :acute: :clapping:

Guest mcramsay

as ive already said, these will be winter mods on the car, im just trying to get bits and bobs made up in prep for when the car will be sat in the garage for a few months. haha ive learned a few lessons in building the car, so im trying to get some prepwork and reasearch done long before starting to do anything on it.

my plan is to play around with the bits i have, ie inlet manifold, and get the turbo mounted on the standard zetec exhaust manifold, in the next few months, so that when the weather turns more crap than it is now, it should be more of a bolt on job. so yeah, i will be enjoying the summer with the car as it is at the moment.

i thought about cutting the bonet for the pipe work, but i will be getting rid of the jenveys so i dont have to and running a single big throttle body unless i fine a plenum that fils

have you decided what t3 turbo you are going to be running

Guest mcramsay

Are there different types of t3 turbo? I thought a t3 turbo was just a t3 turbo, regardless of what car it was fitted on?

I will have to change the external waste gate for something a bit smaller.

As for an intercooler i will be finding the room for one some where! Not really much point sticking the turbo on without one!

yes there is different size t3 i have a ar42 now to help line everthing up (got it free :crazy: ) but will need at least a ar50 for my power i am after might even need a ar60 but i dont want to much lag so might go for a t3/4 ar50

intercoller wise i will be going for something like this when i mesuare the space i have

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Bar-Plate-Alloy-Intercooler-Core-Size-320x300x80mm-2-75-Inlets-BN-/130661460915?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e6c07abb3

then i will realy know what 1 i will be getting

Guest webby

hi

a standard t3 is ar 42 air and ar42 exhaust this is more than capable of produceing 300hp your bottom end isnt strong enough for that many horses and the bigger the turbo the more lag as they dont spool up as quick, look at a cossie plenum if your going to run 1 throttle body you can turn it round as the zetec inlet on the other side of the engine.youll need an inercooler get a bar type rather than a tube type theyre far more efficient thereare loads available than can cope with 250 hp and fit in youre car at sensible money

Guest webby

hi just another couple of thoughts youll have to upgrade your breather system as turbo engines breath a lot heavier so need to fit a breather to the cam cover it really makes a difference have you looked in to ecu. map sensor amel valve .etc? ill have a look ive probably got a cossie plenum kicking about if you want i can take some measurements and make a couple of sketches if that would help

hi

i am going for more then 300hp which this turbo would run out of huff at, i know about the lag issue thats why i was thinking along the lines of a t3/4 turbo.

my breather system has already been modified.

didnt think about the cossie plenum might work if it will fit, the measurement would be good

Guest webby

hi

no probs not sure if the plenum in garage or at work give me a few days and ill sort it outand do some sketches and photosand theyre cheap on fleabay you could then sort a back plate to suit. dont forget if you run a t34 the air side is physically bigger so room could be an issue. you also need to think about oil feed and return to the turbo and also water feed and return

have you done any mods to the bottom end as if you want 300 hp plus you seriously need to think about head bolt threads, head bolts, head gasket.crank.rods.block etc from what i hear the zetec isnt that strong

turbos are a great way of getting power but also a great way of blowing a good engine to bits

but worth it when right if i was you id would try to stay at a max of 300 hp as it starts getting unreliable and expensive after that and 300hp is more than enough in 1 of these

No problem takes as long as you like I won't be fitting the engine till winter

My mate who built the engine upgreaded everything to his own spec

He said it should produce 350+

We will see when its on the rollers if it dose if not anything over 250 if going to be quick

Guest mcramsay

started making the spacer for the plenum last night, im not sure if it will work or not though. im using 1/2 Thick ABS plastic, now that sounds silly for a turbo plenum, but this stuff is bloody strong and heat resistant. we use it in pipeform at work up to 3 bar with no issues atall. i will do a pressure test on the whole lot once its all done. if the ABS plastic blows then i will be forced to spend some money on aluminum! will be making the back plate up from 5/16 gauge plate.

owlman, is there any chance i could have the T3 turbo off you once you have finished lining things up with it? obviously willing to pay. im not fussed on the condition, as i will be rebuilding what ever turbo i get my hands on before fitting. PM me if you are interested.

Guest webby

hi

i think youll have probs with the plastic as the charge fom the turbo will still be hot even after the intercooler

producing the power isnt a problem you can easily get 500hp if you wanted but its getting it to hold together is the issue remember the duratec and zetec were designed and built as disposable engines when knackered throw it away and buy a new 1 .

and unless youve got a reinforced block, a steel crank. steel rods forged pistons and youre comp ratio lowered to 8 to 1 max you seriously need to be careful how much boost you run as its disheartening to do all that work and blow it to bits i dont suppose youve ever seen a engine explode it scares the *bleep* out of you especially on the dyno

im not a pessimist its a great project im just trying to help ive seen to many people trying to get too many horses and not getting the essentials right first and costing them a lot in time and money when it goes wrong