When I Press The Brake Light All The Indicators And Front Side Lights

Guest Phil_neast

Guest Phil_neast

Hi,

I recently bought an S7 that I believe is dolomite based. The wiring loom is a bit 'messy' and the car was just MOTed before I got it a few weeks ago, however there is a problem that when ever the brakes are applied the brake lights come on bright but all the indicators ( front and back) as well as the front and back sidelights glow faintly.

I am beginning to try and work through the loom looking for any obvious issues, and it looks like the original warning light cluster (circular) is still wired into the loom with various links in to new lights etc. I'm going to cut this out...

I have also just discovered the hazards don't work either, this is on what looks like the original round switch. I have bought a new switch, for my new dashboard, but I'm a bit worried now about even thinking about messing.

I thought I would ask before I consider an auto elec to sort all this out.... Anybody any ideas why my brake light switch drains to the lights? And any ideas why the hazard switch isn't working?

Thanks for reading

Phil.

Guest TerryBarry

Could be a faulty stop/tail bulb or , more probably a poor earth to one of the rear lamp clusters.

Not sure about the hazards though - but might be down to poor earth again.

Guest Phil_neast

Thanks TerryBarry, been thinking this is an issue as I don't see many conventional earths as I would expect on my normal car. Some earths run to the body panels which I wond if they are suitable.

Yes, I remember something similar on one of my dad's old cars and it was a poor earth in the light cluster.

I would suspect a poor earth over everything else. These are also difficult to find if the affected lights are all over the place :)

Simon.

Guest Phil_neast

Thanks guys, I have just followed the advice, ran an earth wire straight to the earth in the light cluster and 'hay presto' the brake light issue is fixed.

Thanks for the quick, and friendly advice. Still have the hazard issue, i think it maybe that the switch is kaput, but any further helpful advice gratefull received.

Regards

Phil.

Guest snowman

I have the same Dolomite base as you - the pull switch is suspect - first: loosen the red switch cover (unscrew) and work in in and out a few times - this allows the switch contacts to move over a greater distance. Second: unscrew the red cover, and unscrew the switch from the dashboard - disconnect via the six pin plug that is about 75mm down the wires , and try some switch cleaner. Third: buy a new switch from Rimmers 159905A (£50)

i've totally rewired my car - running earths from everwhere - there is a lot of uneccesary wire in the loom (heated rear windows, boot light, courtesy lights, heaters) etc. also there is a Night dimming relay in the rear brake light, and indicator circuits - i suggest you throw that away - it has 6 terminals - just link the wire from contact 3 and 6 together, 2 and 5 together, and 1 and 4 together. this dims all the rear lights when you turn the headlights on

The circular warning light cluster works well, but has 'interesting' internal connections - work to the original wiring diagram and its fine - alternatively just pull the plug off the back off the cluster its about 50mm in diameter - i can send you the wire numbers to connect to individual bulbs - only one queston -does the cluster have two individual turn lamps or one dual turn lamp

where are you based - i'm in Clithere, Lancashire, and have suffered most of the problems that the dolomite mechanicals/electrics can throw at you.

Guest Phil_neast

Snowman, thanks for that I am in Gateshead, north east. I have bought a new savage switch from Europa for the hazards, but it only has 4 terminals I think. The round bezel has been seriously canabalised by the previous owner. He has taken the front away and started linking into the rear for new dash lights. I tried to cutout the wires for the ignition light today and wire directly bu it stopped working and I had to route the wire back through the rear of the cluster to get the new dash light to work again. Ideally I would like to remove the old bezel. I think it has two indicator lights looking at the detail on the back of the copper plate. I don't have an original wiring diagram, do you know where I would get one? If you could send me the info for the plug wiring that would be great.

Many thanks

Phil.

Guest snowman

Phil,

too many questions to answer in writing - i think some pictures will help - send me an email address and i'll send you what i have, or give me a call 07967 725 999

and we can try and sort out what you have.

regards

Mike