Towing A Trailer

Guest Kennedy48

Guest Kennedy48

Does anyone know what my rights are for being 23 years old and towing a trailer. Do I need to take a trailer test or will I not need to on a small trailer under a certain weight.

Cheers

Luke

Guest Mr_Frosty

This is the way I read the confusing DVLA website when towing a caravan or my really small trailer.

I'm 22 only passed my test in 2007.

As long as you and what you are towing don't weigh over 3.5 tonnes and that the trailer is not heavier than the towing vehicle then it's ok.

Like I say though the website is hard to understand as it contradicts itself so I may be wrong. Not even sure if there is different rules for towing something that is braked.

Guest jhfozzy

Mr ftrosty is correct.

A 'B' licence holder who passed their test after 1997 may tow a trailer plated up to 750kg with a vehicle with a GVW of up to 3500kg.

In addition to this, they may also tow a trailer of over 750kg as long as the GVW of the towcar and the plated weight of the trailer does not exceed 3500kg.

So, if you drive a towcar with an all-up weight of 2000kg, you may tow a trailer of 1500kg as this does not exceed the 3500kg limit.

John.

Guest Deathbystan

The way I read it is, ALL drivers who passed after 1/1/97 require a trailer test, regardless of the weights involved. Not sure where your info has come from Fozzy? Read CMA's 2nd quote, B+E category is car plus trailer. Where are you getting anything about weights being critical in all this?

A B+E licence is required for an outfit (car + trailer) weighing more than 3500kg. All of us who passed our test prior to 1997 were granted B+E automatically. Newer drivers must take an extra test. All of us can tow a trailer on a B licence providing the outfit is below 3500kg. The permissible weight of trailer is also dependent on whether it is braked or unbraked.

It is also important to note that the weight of the trailer is not the actual weight but the MPTLM, the maximum permitted technical laden mass. This is shown on the trailers plate.

Guest jhfozzy

The way I read it is, ALL drivers who passed after 1/1/97 require a trailer test, regardless of the weights involved. Not sure where your info has come from Fozzy? Read CMA's 2nd quote, B+E category is car plus trailer. Where are you getting anything about weights being critical in all this?

My info comes direct from the DVLA's website.

Drivers who passed their test prior to 1997 automatically got categories "B+E", "C1" and "D1" on their licence.

Drivers who passed after 1997 just get category "B" on their licence.

A category "B" licence allows you to drive a vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight of up to 3500kgs.

It also allows you to tow a trailer behind of up to 750kgs.

You may also tow a trailer over 750kgs as long as the towing vehicle and trailer do not exceed a combined weight of 3500kgs.

Clearer?

Links:

The 1997 rule explained: http://www.direct.go...cles/dg_4022564

What you may drive on each licence: http://www.direct.go...ions/DG_4022547

Pay close attention to this part.

B Motor vehicles with a MAM of up to 3,500 kg, no more than eight passenger seats, with or without a trailer - weighing no more than 750 kg

B As category B but with a trailer weighing more than 750 kg. The total weight of the vehicle and the trailer together can’t weigh more than 3,500 kg. The weight of the trailer, when fully loaded, can’t weigh more than the unladen weight of the vehicle

ETA: All B+E adds to a licence is allowing you to drive "with a heavier trailer that isn't covered in the descriptions for category B" i.e.up to 3500kgs (you cannot exceed the weight of the towcar). The link clearly states you can tow a trailer on a "B" licence, you're just limited by the weight of the trailer.

Edited by Fozzy

Guest Deathbystan

Right I get you now, thanks for clarifying. I missed that when i looked through. Now I read it, it does make sense..although I think they've made hard work in the way they've worded it :wacko:

Guest woolly

a driving instructor told us that my son post 97 can drive our van and trailer as long as me very pre 97 was in the van giving instruction ?, but can't find clarification yet.

I thought the new 750kg /3500kg rule doesn't come into effect until jan 1st 2013. When I emailed dvla 5 years ago I was told max 500kg mgpw which is v limiting without a further test.

I passed may 1997, so missed deadline by 5 months grr!

this topic has made my day as I thought I was going to have to do a trailer test, but it appears maybe not?!?!

So basically if I've understood this topic correctly, as I passed my test after 1997 and hold a B-licence I will be able to legally tow the following;

towing vehicle - astra estate (kerb weight of car is 1400kg)

trailer - braked and total wight of around1200kg

if this is correct...v.happy indeed!!

Think tow vehicle to towing trailer may be a factor....this is from memory, think it has to be 75%. Any idea what the nose weight is for ur trailer or is it balanced well with the car over the axel?

nose weight of trailer is around 25kg.

Talking to chrissie (owlman's swmbo), she did her trailer test because of pulling horse trailers and I seem to remember (while being pi55ed) she said trailer has to be at least 100kg lighter than the car.

Reading everything from dvla, it looks like im going to be okay.