Temprature & Oil Presure Senders

Guest nick coram

Guest nick coram

I have aquired an older style Smiths 3 in 1 gauge, Fuel, Oil presure & Temprature. Together with a matchimg rev counter and speedo it will enable me to do the complete dash with just three 4" instruments.

Unfortunatly I don't know which car the 3 in 1 came from. They are all electrical (including the oil presure) does anyone know of a source for thr correct senders for this type of instrument or any way of converting the output from the standard senders.

The engine is a Pinto.

Are there any markings on the guages? - not that I could help any more if they have but I would suggest the people that could will need the markings to get it right.

You might try CAI (they own all the Smiths stuff nowadays) but I've no experience of how helpful they are when you're not buying from them, they aren't very expensive for senders though so it might be an idea to at least suggest that you intend to buy the senders from them.

Alternatively someone (I think Jim Stott - was it you uncle Jim?) has mentioned a place that reconditions Smiths guages in the NW area. I seem to remember that some of the club have used them and reported good service so they may be worth a try for details of the senders (and maybe to pretty-fy the guages before use too).

Not much help but maybe some places to try.

Iain

I had similar trouble with a rev counter the other day. I rung around the instrument re-conditioners until I found one who knew. They were all very helpful. Get a copy of which kit or kit car mag and flick through the classifieds.

Not sure if this is who I rung, but a good starting point would be:

JDO Instrument repairs

01535 662701

If you do match the smiths temp gauge can you reply with details of the sender and the cost. I need one of those too in the coming weeks.

Ant