2.8 V6 Will Not Start, Backfiring Not Sure Timing Has Been Correctly S

Guest roshea14

Guest roshea14

2.8 v6 will not start, backfiring occasionally, getting fuel and has spark not making a lot of difference turning dizzy! not sure timing has been correctly set! i brought the car with the engine in but not sure what parts are on it, dizzy 3 wire (orange purple black) ignition module can wires be wrong way round and still fire? (orange and purple?)

I have found a firing order on the internet but not 100% sure mine is the right way round. looking from the front (fan end) is the 1st plug on the left number 1 or 1st on right? anyone confirm firing order too please? or static timing tips just to get it to fire?

most of the basics seem ok e.g. spark fuel, coil etc but seems like a timing issue whether static os faulty dizzy? I'm not that clued up! i feel like a school kid again, these old simple engines are usually so easy but when people change dizzy's and engines/ gearboxes/ starters it gets complicated unless you are familiar with what parts you have, who built it or if all parts are even good and i most certainly am not!

Guest robinj66

From the front, number 1 plug is front left. The left hand bank is 1 ; 2 ; 3 & the right is 4 (front right); 5 ; 6.

Firing order is 1-4-2-5-3-6

Ignition timing is 9 degrees BTDC for carbs and 12 degrees BTDC for injection.

There were 2 types of distributor with electronic (breakerless) ignition systems - Motorcraft (blue cap as standard) and Bosch (red cap as standard).

I'm not too good on distributor wiring as i use a an old one (with contact breakers) from an earlier 2.3.