Dutton/robin Hood?

Guest smitty12

Guest smitty12

Hi all,

I'm new to the site so this is my first post!

I've recently just bought my first Robin Hood however on the documents and plaque under the bonnet it says the car is a Dutton? Can anyone shed any light on this? The lad who I bought it from said the car was origionally built in the 80's as a Dutton but had been re-shelled into a Robin Hood, the car has a 2L Pinto engine running Kent Cams and Fireblade Carbs so it does go rather well.

The car is going to be used as a track car but first it will be a project to get it up to that standard, so again if anyone has any advice that would be great!

Here are some photo's, I dont know if anyone recognises the car?

529029_10150945386957271_834535134_n.jpg

599806_10150945387097271_1886627010_n.jpg

391216_10150945389517271_1747316524_n.jpg

Edited by smitty12

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mower man

Be very careful there are some iffy duttons about caused by people trying to get stuff registered ,but as you are using it as a track car not registering it ,it should not matter .It may be a dutton chassis with RH panels or evn the other way round ,but I think you would have probs registering it ,my ops only mower man

Guest smitty12

Thanks for the advice, the car is already registered and has been for the past 20 years or so. There is a plaque under the bonnet stamped Dutton, I wasnt sure if you could just swpa the body? The car has a monocoque chassis, is this typical for a Dutton? As i say i'm totally new to kit cars!

Guest steve775

I spoke to the owner of this car when it was advertised on ebay. I advised him that the vehicle was not as it should be ! and that rebuilding a dutton with a robin hood would require more than just transferring some parts and numbers.

Guest smitty12

But if it was a Dutton that had been re-shelled into a Robin Hood would that not expalin it? If that is possible of course? The story I was given was the car was built in the 80's as a Dutton, left to rot for many years then re-shelled into a Robin Hood in the Early 00's as Robin Hood parts were easier to come by?

If this isnt the case how do I go about putting this right and making it legit?

Thanks for the advice!

Guest MarkB

the use of the word "reshell" is the problem, the word should be replaced with "took the chassis number and registration plate off a knackered dutton and popped it on a vehicle thats been built because it was cheaper and easier than putting the car through an SVA test", in basic terms Snotfart is correct, it is legally a ringer.

Guest smitty12

Oh dear! Mabey should have looked into this before buying the car :(

Mistake has been made so now i'd just like to put it right, i wouldnt want to falsly sell it on again. The car is going to be used as a track car so probably wont see the road but just in case how would i go about getting the correct tests done on it? And how much do they cost?

The standard of work doesn't look bad, I wouldnt have bought it if it did! There are a few areas where you can see the previous owners have made temporary fixes and rushed jobs but they can be put right

Guest Kennedy48

If the car does have the dutton chassis is this a dvla job to transfer names over. As some kits don't have to be put through iva as the original chassis is used.

Please correct me. (My grandads thinking of building a kit with a classic chassis with new body. Doesn't require iva) I put my hood through iva do I have little/very basic idea

Guest Kennedy48

Hi i to think something odd as Dutton,s didnt have monoqoc chassis.as i ownd a Dutton s3 for 3yrs so new a bit about them.mike

My old dutton b+ was all box section