Dutton/robin Hood?

Guest smitty12

The vehicle inspections we have are minimum standard tests which do try to stop many dodgey cars, but to implement a system to totally stop ringing of vehicles, in my opinion, just ain't possible.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi mark

thanks for the comments , however i still cant see the difference , between swapping out a mgb and a zero . not thinking of buying an id . but if as in the case of the mgb a shell is avaialable and only an mot is rqd . then why cant a lightweight become a zero as it is the generic replacement for a lightweight .

we arnt talking about ringing here as the replacement has been purchaced legit, as would the mgb shell .and the lightweight for instance has history .

regards graham

hi mark

thanks for the comments , however i still cant see the difference , between swapping out a mgb and a zero . not thinking of buying an id . but if as in the case of the mgb a shell is avaialable and only an mot is rqd . then why cant a lightweight become a zero as it is the generic replacement for a lightweight .

we arnt talking about ringing here as the replacement has been purchaced legit, as would the mgb shell .and the lightweight for instance has history .

regards graham

I cant argue your reasoning and to be fair i dont have an answer i could back up, i think the "frowning" of such rebuilds is just the worry of the rebuild quality, some cases it would be done to improve the vehicle and im sure in the right hands it would succeed, some would be to plainly avoid the IVA for untold reasons. If a rebuild is carried out by a competent person i dont see a problem...... unfortunatly the hammer and molegrips men out weigh the precision builders.

so my question is ? whats legal and whats not ?can for instance a lightweight be re shelled into a zero as an mgb would be with a heratige shell and only an mot ?

for compliance .

regards graham

Legally I have no idea, I suppose land rover boys re chassis cars all the time, chassis modifications are the bone of contention at the moment in the VOSA camp.... I can make some enquiries with the powers that be on the qt next week

Guest micha_1

in year 2005 BMW built a 70ies model, a 2002Tii from their parts bin, to show that nealy 90% of the necessary parts are still available "new" at BMW.

the german authorities did refuse to register the car on the road, as the majoroty of parts had been "new", so the car need to fullfill the registration laws from 2006....which a 70ies car couldnt.

finally they sorted a registration, incl. all necessary certificates of exemption, only valid for BMW, not transferable, surplus the car can only be used for shows. (a so called prototype-registration).

Guest alfaGTA

The issue's appear to concern the chassis and the major mechanical components (engine, transmission and suspension) i.e the critical components. The clearest info i can find is on: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/Registeringakitcarrebuildorradicallyalteredvehicle/index.htm

And more specifically

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/Registeringakitcarrebuildorradicallyalteredvehicle/DG_191069

So a new galvanised land rover chassis should be ok but is it to the same spec as the original as its galvanised whilst the original was not or is that being pedantic? Likewise a second hand chassis obtained from the classified ads or from a donor car would not be allowable even though its a like for like swap?

In the event of a major traffic incident the car(s) involved would be inspected with a very fine tooth comb and if there is a problem the owner could find himself needing soap on a rope. Public/highway safety is on the DVLA/VOSA agenda and they are not concerned with a bunch of classic/kit car owners keeping a vehicle on the road no matter how rare or exotic. At the end of the day (its night 8) ) the process for getting a car registered is available in the UK via the IVA but the expense and the potential resulting Q plate or loss of classic status is a major factor.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RH CAT 7

you can re chassis a car if you say have a hood and by a new chassis from robinhood, then notify dvla ect and go down the right channels. one robin hood had its v5c removed by the dvla after it was found a car and v5 were sold to different people this year. !! just to make money.

GDC

If you reshell an MGB as an MGB that's ok

If you shell a Mondeo as an X type Jag ( same floor pan) that's not

If you reshell a lightweight as a lightweight that's ok

If you reshell a lightweight as a Zero that's not because its not a reshell is it you are ringing a car to avoid IVA

Simple as that

It's not what you want to hear but it is the law

Edited by Snapperpaul

So what about these "bodykits" that convert your Toyota mr2 into Ferrari replicas then?

Technically I suppose they are still mr2s, yet I have seen people who have managed to get "Ferrari" onto their tax discs.

(Of course, I don't know what their v5 states, but I would assume that had been changed too ? :) )

Simon.

Body kit conversions should state the original cars V5 details

These are cosmetic and don't require IVA or DVLA to be informed unless its gone from hard top to soft, 4 doors to 2 etc

If its got Ferrari on it beware the Ferrari legal department who have been known to sue individuals for having the car badged as a Ferrari.