Dutton/robin Hood?

Guest smitty12

British Motor Heritage Limited

Range Road, Cotswold Business Park, Witney, OX29 0YB, United Kingdom

If you reshell an MGB as an MGB that's ok

.But its not an mgb shell

the shell isn't made by mgb, its made by the above co.

and i only asked a question, not trying to ovoid iva either, done 2iva and 3 sva.in the past.

graham

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could still be registered as an MGB because BMH Limited have the rights to use th MG trademark under licence, as described on their website:

"British Motor Heritage owns the Heritage trademark together with MOWOG, Nuffield, Standard, Stanpart and Steelcraft marks and the Heritage Motor Parts brand, and is licensed by the trademark owners to use MG, Mini, Austin-Healey, Triumph, Rover, Austin, Morris, Riley, Vanden Plas, Wolseley, Special Tuning and BMC trademarks and logos. Through its approval process, it is responsible for the licensing of vehicle, merchandise and publishing products and outlets using the non-current trademarks and logos originally owned by vehicle manufacturers. It is a Member of the Institute of Vehicle Engineers – SAE UK and Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs."

which is probably good enough for the DVLA and a car re-shelled with a BMH body would retain the original registration as it uses "a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit – monocoque) of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer or manufacturer (eg receipt)"

I think the key phrase is "of the same specification as the original" and obviously supported by a reciept (to prove it is actually all brand new).

so not wishing to be difficult , but a shell or body as you wish to call it can be manufactured by anyone, branded as the origonal

and used as a swap out for a rusty one ?

so the question still is ,

why a lightweight , with a diff that cant be changed cos the structure wont allow it to be removed and repaired cant be re boddied into a zero .

the zero is the next inline in the rhsc brand , its the same company , its the same designer .so why the differance , is it cos the mgb is main streem , and kits are a distant second classs vechicle .the last kit that came out of rhsc was the lightweight , not a 2 b or something else .

i am trying to promote thought . not raise a storm .

i have been intreeged forsome time re the mgb , and the rebuild implications .

its not origonal

it does not come from the origonal factory .

it may look the same but its not the origonal .

a seven is a seven , with the exception of a. couple of manufacturers they all look the same .

graham

not wishing to upset or diss anyone but the question stands .

I think you have answered you own question Re: the lightweight.

If the chassis structure is completely different then the stresses they can take will also be completely different and where one would protect you in an accident, the other might not.

For the MGB body to be produced (under licence) it would have to be EXACTLY the same as an original one with regard to stress handling. The only real way is to produce them EXACTLY the same way.

Hence a rebody MGB would not need IVA as you are just reconstructing an original car.

My thoughts only,

Simon.

but i dont think it does ?thats the issue . its not a factory built alternative , its an alternative .

its not an origonal shell its a copy by another company .

so whats the differance ?

graham

There are many ways to build a lotus seven copy, but only one (correct) way to build a MGB body.

There are other legal reasons why a MGB copy must be constructed the same way.

In the end it comes down to this.

1) the DVLA thinks it's a lightweight (whatever)

2) You have an accident (or the person who buys it does)

3) the car is inspected and found NOT to be from a lightweight chassis.

4) Insurance doesn't pay up

5) You're stuffed

Simples,

Simon.

sorry simon not deep enough for me . i get what your saying but the reasoning ant there . its a clone the mgb is a clone ..

its not even the same co issuing the shell .

so whats the differance

Guest zerorace

i believe the complete shells can be classed as originals due to the fact they use original tooling it does not matter where they are made

just my 2p worth

graham

so my new chassis / shell can be built by gbs

to the same standards ?a chassis that has no ridigity and no srenght a chassis that i have worked for 4 years to strengthen to make it work .and have failed,so i can buy a replacement chassis / body that is as bad as the one i have ?

or i can be not legal .

I believe its the same as the Austin mini, new shells are available from a different company, When re shelling a car that has been in an accident the dvla dont even get informed, origonal chassis number is stamped by hand in the workshop.

The only issue I can see in the case of a lightwieght is the fact that is a monocoque, and the Zero being a chassis. Although the lightwieght did need some kind of chassis to pass IVA,

Anything with a chassis can be re bodied without the need for an IVA or DVLA check as the chassis is origonal, chassis modification needs DVLA approval,

Its moral thing and we all know it!

hi dave

thanks for the reply

this is my delima , i have a lightweight with a diff thats boswasks and the only way to remove it is to

scrap the car , i have scrapped 3 lightweights in the past . the only way to remove the diff is

to scrap the car ask phill shelton he was here when we scrapped the last one the question is what can i do that is legal

to retain some of the origonal car .and retain the origonal mark of the car.ps the diff is the first part fiitted to the lightwewight

Guest Kennedy48

My guess would be to use the light wieght as a donor car use parts needed and buy a zero chasis. Take for iva and take to dvla with light wieght log book to get your new zero registered.

Don't take my word for it. Iv made this up as iv gone along. But that could be a possiblity. If receipts are present.

Luke

Ok,

Here is my view,

and I'll ask everyone the same question,,, would buy a lieghtwieght??????????????????

Would you buy a Zero on a LIghtwieght logbook??????

I'd say most would be happier to buy the Zero if the sale was open and honest in telling the new owner of its past.

Ilegal or imoral, you decide.

If the purpose of putting the Zero chassis around the lieghtwieght running gear for your own use then fine,, no harm done and as I see it, the Zero is a much safer car.