Dutton/robin Hood?

Guest smitty12

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kennedy48

Why Dutton? I've found a few kit cars registered as Dutton's now? Seems very strange?

I sold my dutton couple years ago in the bad state it was in. Not saying the guy was but I think he may have only been buying it for the V5. I refused to sell the car to the first guy who offered cos he wanted the V5 and told me to keep the car. I needed it out the garage ASAP.

There's alot of duttons out there probably and they are all old and broken. Past it's sell by date and you could buy an old dutton for cheaper than an iva.

there was a dutton on ebay a few months ago. It was rotten, engine missing etc....however the guy made a big deal about having the log book and chassis plates for it, and even offered to dispose of the car after the sale if the buyer didn't want it (so the buyer was purchasing only the log book and plates). "Buy it now" was £200.

Another story... at the start of this rubbish summer I met a guy with a locost outside our local. I had my RH with me so we started chatting.....He "bragged" that he bought the unfinished locost kit off ebay for £400, then bought a log book and plates in the same manner as described above, and finished the car and put it on the road for less than £800.

It Pi55ed me right off!! :aggressive:

I think ebay is trying to clamp down on this because there are a lot of ebay-sellers saying things like "in accordance with ebay rules" within their description (when they are clearly just selling the V5)...so obviously sellers are just finding different ways around the rules.

Guest smitty12

When I was first looking into buying a kit car i never expected to find anything like this!

I really thought people buying the kits would have a lot of pride in there cars and would do the bit extra to get it on the road properly, it does seem a bit irritating when one does it right and one does it wrong.

I'll be sorting this one out so that'll be one less dodgy kit car on the road!

Guest mower man

I wish you luck you may have some issues with registration if you go that route ,if using for track only iwill not or should not be any prob . The incorect Dutton RobinHood bit MAY have been done in ignoranceof the correct proceedure or just to move it on and make money who knows ! mower man

Amazingly I did get a reply to my question of why does it say Dutton on the V5, & I quote -

"I have no idea I'm afraid. My brother bought the car and I am just listing it on his behalf."

Not surprisingly the question didn't get listed on the advert. More worrying, some poor soul paid nearly £3k for it.

Guest mower man

Amazingly I did get a reply to my question of why does it say Dutton on the V5, & I quote -

"I have no idea I'm afraid. My brother bought the car and I am just listing it on his behalf."

Not surprisingly the question didn't get listed on the advert. More worrying, some poor soul paid nearly £3k for it.

Alarm bells at max volume!!!!! mower man

• 1 month later...

a dutton always comes with a tube-type chassis, front whisbones with outboard coilovers, plus a live-axle, whereas the pictured clone has a moncoque, with inboard front suspension and a IRS from the sierra.

the pictured car is 101% ar robinhood, model marks1,2 or 3, the sierra based type with monocoque.

here its obvious that dutton documents have been used to make a freshly built-up robin roadlegal, avoiding SVA etc....

The guys in the Dutton Club are working very hard to tidy up a lot of the rogue cars that are incorrectly registered, as has been mentioned the numerous models made that are registered in imprecise terms have give the chancers a field day. As Longboarder rightly points out this has knock on effects for everyone on the roads as well asthe reputation of kit car owners of all sorts.

There is a guy from Blackburn in the Dutton Club called Adrian who has put a lot of timeintothis, he should be onyour list of people to speak to;

They have a fairly massive data base and might be able to link reg on the vehicle discussed here with "another Dutton"

hth

Mike

Guest Rebuilda

Hi Chaps

I'm the aforementioned Adrian, membership secretary of the dutton owners club and DVLA hornets nest kicker...

I'm sorry to say that the OP has indeed been sold an illegally registered vehicle.

As also pointed out previously, it not insurable registered the way it is now and if you get pinged by an ANPR there is a good chance that a traffic cop will spot the difference. Someone in this vehicles past has taken a very dodgy shortcut and dropped you right in it.

The last RH to be queried because the log book said Dutton had its ID removed by the DVLA along with its number plates. There are some very basic construction differences that anyone with any knowledge of kit cars is going to spot.

This has caused quite a few issues with some of our members too. Being called for a VIC is a pain if your car is 'right'. if its registered incorrectly it can result in the car being impounded and all sorts of other complications. The DVLA currently has a block on all vehicles registered as Dutton to to the sheer number of them that have been scrapped after being robbed of their identity.

All that being said if there is anything I can do to help trace your vehicle then just email me on membershipsecretary@duttonownersclub.co.uk. We do have a database with over 3000 vehicles on it but we don't have details on all of them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but surely it's better to know exactly where you stand rather than come a cropper due to someone elses mistakes. The correct way to proceed would be to notify the DVLA of the situation you find yourself in and arrange to put the car through whatever retrospective IVA test they deem appropriate, I can give you details for the correct person to contact to help speed this process through should you decide to make the car legit.

just to add to the mix ,

for instance i have an mg , its got a rotton bodyshell, so i buy a heratage body shell, swap out all the bits from the doner as it were,

end with a new shell and my bits fitted on on it , mot and on the road .??????????????

so if my lightweight needs a new diff, i know if the lightweight needs a diff the car is a rightoff cos you cant get the diff out

without destroying the car i have tried 3 times to remove a diff without destroying the car .cos i have scrapped 3 lightweights . .so can i rebuild my lightweight into a zero and avoid a iva .as it would have poss ally worm and stress cracks..

i understand that a dutton should not be re regestered as a robin hood ect .

so as far as the first bit i posted re the mgb whats the differance .

graham

I think what it boils down to graham is that you and a few others on here are talented car builders, the type of people that know "it'll do" most certainly won't do, you take pride in everything being perfect, safety and reliability wise...... Now unfortunately the flip side of the coin is the people out there that really do not know what they are doing, it'll do covers their best attempts..... And to be perfectly fair they don't give 2 monkeys about their safety and other people around them.

If one of these people built a car and bought an Id then sold the car to a non petrol head, the kind of guy who likes to drive but won't tinker..... I dread to think of the possible outcomes.