Zero Side Panels

Guest Dickie

Guest Dickie

I was trial fitting the RH side panel this evening & it seems a very good fit with just a bit of trimming required along the chassis rail next to the engine mount. The concern I have, is the position of the hole for the steering rack, the rack boot rubs on the panel, is the hole position wrong in the panel? or does the rack need to be moved rearward? I don't have any photos of this portion of a finished car, I should have taken a few when I collected my car last week, but got a bit carried away loading my hire van.

Guest Dickie

Spoke to the factory today, looks like I just need to move the rack a little, I was going to leave the side panels off until later, but as storage ( and three children) is a problem, I have decided to fit them now. I've fitted the diff, fr and rr suspension, steering, pedals & most of the interior panels (lh tunnel panels not fixed yet) I may have a go at the scuttle panel at the weekend

you are doing very well if you only collected it last week, sides are one of the last things to go on

I must have done it all backwards then !

I opted for the bonded on panels from the start. Ok, it made it more difficult to fit some parts, but not impossible. :)

Simon.

I think you would have to move the rack a LOT to produce bump steer. I'm thinking he only wants to move it within the tolerances that are already on the plate at the front of the car. If you moved it over more than an inch up or down, then, yes, possibly.

Backwards and forwards at the same height will not affect bump steer.

Simon.

Ha, I don't think even tintops have correct Ackerman steering either. If they did you wouldn't get the tyre squeal on max lock going round car parks like my old mondeo used to ! :)

Simon.

Very true, i believe it's a trade off between low and high speed handling, with anti-ackerman being advantageous at high speeds.

Guest mower man

Sorted, I have moved the rack further up the mounting slot & it is now central in the side panel hole.

There you go it should , all fit patience and a sit back with a brew can work wonders mower man