Rear Fog Light

Guest danny_samb

Guest danny_samb

Hi all my hood failed iva due to fog light coming on with sides and not full beam, is there anyway I can wire it where I don't have to splice into the wirirng can I run new wires for the fog on its own circuit

Thanks

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Danny,

We can't really answer the question posed. We don't know what the wiring loom is!

All you have to do for a complete solution is add a relay off the light switch at the point it feeds the dip / main beam lights. Put a return in for the coil a fused feed from the battery or ignition circuit and then wire the switched live to the fog light.

Unfortunately you question is how to do that!

Guest ollie chapman

Hi, I can help on this one - I failed for exactly the same reason. According to the IVA bible, Rear Fog Lamps, p28, 3. The lamp(s) must only illuminate when dipped beam, main beam, or front fog lamps are lit. (so you cannot wire them independently)

4. They must not be affected by switching on or off any other lamps (except those above)

5. Must be capable of being switched off independently of any other lamp

8. Must be fitted with an operational 'tell-tale' lamp (non flashing) visible from the driving position

9. Either the switch or tell tale must clearly indicate that operation relates to the rear fog lights (see note 1) - I got around this by cutting out a fog light symbol and sellotaping it over the switch.

Best get the IVA manual or sneak a look at someone else's re fog lamp position, height, etc.

Hope this helps.

Guest danny_samb

Have a vicki green loom and sierra stalks, the person that wired the car has used different colours so makes harder to find the wire I need. Unsure what you mean about a return for the coil

Not got time to go into details but theres a wire which links left stalk to right stalks, this is the light feed to flasher switch and stays on for dip and main. Older stalks with the large yellow and White wires for headlights it's a 12 volt supply and can used to supply fogs, newer switches with small brown/White and brown/ yellow wires, it's the brown/black and is an earth which you can use to switch a relay.

Jez

In the early (83BG****) column switches the link wire runs between the two sides of the column switches, terminal S54 to 56 and is positive only when the headlights are on.

In all later (87BG****, 89BG**, 90BG etc onwards) stalks the link wire runs between the two sides of the column switches, terminal 56 to 56 and is an earth only when the headlights are on.

Take a connection off the link wire to the switching side of a relay, 85 or 86 and connect the other switching terminal to an earth or ignition live as appropriate. This relay will thus be switched on to supply power to the fog switch only when the headlights are on. The relay terminal 30 needs a live feed and from 87 take the wire to a dash switch, illuminated and marked fog, and then on through the fog light to earth.

Nigel