Pinto Corroded Sump Temp Repair?

Guest Stuartl

My Exmo has always leaked oil from the sump which according to the last owner was coming from the drain plug. It has got worse over the last couple of years and it is now leaking a lot more from what appears to be corrosion on the front corner of the sump. As it will be an engine out job to replace the sump I was wondering if there was any product that could be used to patch it up until next year when I will whip out the engine and tidy up the engine bay.

Thanks, Stuart

I used petrol patch on a leaky fuel tank and it is a very good product

Your sump will need to be clean, if it still drips oil then the patch may not stck fully

Why engine out? Can't you lift and separate

What ever you do don't put anything in the oil to deal from the inside

Why do a job twice?

Undo the engine mounts and lift the engine up as far as possible and drop the sump off to reapir properly or replace it.

You may have to loosen / remove certain other components to gain enough height, but it's a job worth doing right 1st time.

Just my opinion, bodge it if you wish. :acute:

I get your point and bodging a job really goes against the grain tbh. Do you think it would be possible to change the sump (I have a good spare) with the lump raised up but still in situ?

Hi snapperpaul, on brief inspection, on my exmo it looks like it isn't possible to access the nuts on the flange as it's just the belly of the sump that drops through the bottom of the engine bay.

Guest mower man

I get your point and bodging a job really goes against the grain tbh. Do you think it would be possible to change the sump (I have a good spare) with the lump raised up but still in situ?

raise the engine i.e. of the mounts and with your best mate P.Verance you should be able to acsess all bolts ,the very rear ones are the worst [1/4 drive eqpt is needed ] but possible . The sump will then wiggle out ,for replacement fit the gasket to the sump with silicon sealer place on flaat surface aleave for 24 hrs trim off excess inside the sump and refit ,donot tghten bolts excessively and nip opposites until all are tightin 3 stages 1to2 nm,6to8 nm and finally 8to10 nm afterrunning for 20 mins[figs from Haynes manual ] P.Verance[percy]and P.Ience [pat ] are your best mates its not a 10 minjob but is possible HTH mower man

With engine raised

Access from underneath and from in the engine bay it can be done

It's a close run thing whether it is easier to just undo the the engine from exhaust manifold and undo gearbox mount and pull them both up enough to get at it properly

Over the last 10 years or so, I've taken the sump off my exmo;

Engine out: It's a bugger having to remove the engine, but after you've done this working on the sump is hassle free and you end up with a good job.

Engine raised off mounts and car on the floor; This is possible but very difficult getting the sump out on an exmo because of the engine bay floor and anti roll bar.....it's also nearly impossible to get the sump back in without disturbing the gasket.......definatly the hardest way to do the job and there is a risk of oil leakage if you've disturbed the gasket without realising when putting he sump back in (personal experience talking here)

Engine raised off mounts and car on a 4-post ramp; This is the quickest, easiest and best way if you've got access to a 4-poster.

If you have the sierra anti roll bar fitted ( ie not tie bars), it might be worth taking this off to make the sump removal easier....(it's getting it clear if the pickup pipe which is a bugger).

Personal opinion from having done it all ways round....get it on a 4-poster ramp and if you can't, take the engine out.

Guest robinj66

My Exmo has always leaked oil from the sump which according to the last owner was coming from the drain plug. It has got worse over the last couple of years and it is now leaking a lot more from what appears to be corrosion on the front corner of the sump. As it will be an engine out job to replace the sump I was wondering if there was any product that could be used to patch it up until next year when I will whip out the engine and tidy up the engine bay.

Thanks, Stuart

Plastic metal should do it (if you really can't get the sump off.

A large piece of cats-eye put three holes in the sump of my V6 sump when i first had the Cobra on the road. (didn't find out until Igot to the show and the remains of the oil poured out over the grass) and I needed a quick fix so got some of this stuff from a nearby store - well impressed and it lasted until I changed the engine ( a couple of years later). Just make sure the surface is clean and relatively oil free before you apply it :good: