harvs

Just failed my MOT on the emissions test:

Fast Idle Test

CO 1.6% (should be less than 0.3%)

HC 55ppm (OK as as less than 200ppm)

Lambda 0.944 (should be 0.970-1.030)

Natural Idle Test

CO 1.3% (should be less than 0.5%)

I was expecting to pass the emissions as it passed OK at the IVA test 3 years ago, and I haven't changed anything since then.

I know lots of superspec owners have had issues with emissions and there are a whole range of reasons/solutions which have been necessary to get it sorted.

I think I'll start with replacing the Lambda sensor, and see where I get with that.

Cheers

James

• Like 1

Running a little rich by the looks but with the CO high and HC low it's a bit confusing to why, lambda points to a tad rich

I'd look at spark advance as well may be a bit retarded and needs a bit more burn time

Edited by Snapperpaul

Thanks guys

I've done a bit more searching on this site, and it definitely looks like there was an issue with the lambda units supplied with the kit. I'm about to order an NTK unit which is for use with the Rover engine.

I'll keep you posted :)

I was going to put, before my phone threw a wobbler, don't use cheap lambdas, it used to be a known issue to only use genuine. Obviously times have changed and there's a few decent copies out there

• 2 weeks later...

Phew, it's passed!

I fitted a NGK NTK OZA527-E9 sensor and it flew through the emissions test.

I had trouble getting the old sensor off though. To get through the test initially, the advise was to make sure there were absolutely no leaks in the exhaust system. So I used exhaust paste on the lambda threads, which meant it was pretty much welded in place. I broke a spanner trying to get it off. In the end I cut the lamda with an angle grinder and then hammed a socket onto what was left of the nut and used a breaker bar.

Anyway, I'm pleased to be back on the road. Hopefully get a few more runs in before winter sets in.

Cheers

James

Yep. From what other superspec users have reported, the one supplied with the kit was not really compatible. It was marginal whether it would pass the emissions, and with the engine / exhaust / sensor ageing there's little chance of it getting through.

So, with a proper sensor, any easy fix.

Think I will get an emissions test done before the winter wheels up......see if its a job that needs to be done.

Foursome reason builder on mine didn't feed lambda cable through the gromit in side panel, but it just goes under......always wondered why!!!

Cheers for sharing info james.

Ed