Almost Ready For Iva

nigelt

Hi Guys,

I'm almost ready for the IVA but have a couple of issues I would like to clarify.

First, I took a Thatcham rated imobiliser off of one of my old cars as it was faulty (Fixed it) and then decided to fit it to the 2B. All nicely wired in just as it was on the Mondeo, so you cant tell how and where the wires go etc. However, as I wired it in myself, is this going to cause me problems with the IVA? Has anyone else tried this or fitted some sort of imobiliser pre-IVA?

Second is that old story of the steering wheel. If I fit the original Sierra wheel I can just about get in and have very little room between it and my legs. This seems worse than if I stick with the Mountney wheel that came with the kit. Has anyone else found this a problem and if so what was the simplest cure?

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel. I did my iva recently with a rally design d shaped wheel. Just trimmed the sharpe edges with rubber edging and added a soft pad to the face of the wheel to cover the centre boss.

I had the same issue that I could not get in the car with a sierra wheel on. The wheel passed at derby, but because the warning lights were covered they failed me for that, just incase you have the same issue!

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I was hoping to try that.. I realy didn't wan't to make a new dashboard and steering mount just for the sierra wheel. All my warning lights are in a cluster from a triumph dolomite in the center-ish so well out of the way of the wheel.

Nige

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Nigel,

First, I took a Thatcham rated imobiliser off of one of my old cars as it was faulty (Fixed it) and then decided to fit it to the 2B. All nicely wired in just as it was on the Mondeo, so you cant tell how and where the wires go etc. However, as I wired it in myself, is this going to cause me problems with the IVA? Has anyone else tried this or fitted some sort of imobiliser pre-IVA?

This is a problem with the insurance company, getting a reduced premium. You can fill the IVA for with or without.

Second is that old story of the steering wheel. If I fit the original Sierra wheel I can just about get in and have very little room between it and my legs. This seems worse than if I stick with the Mountney wheel that came with the kit. Has anyone else found this a problem and if so what was the simplest cure?

The 2B normally has a collapsible steering column, that takes care of a lot of the problems. Padding is needed as for hard edges, the screw / bolt heads can cause a problem with some IVA testers. Best advice is to go to your IVA chosen test station, tale the wheel and ask the IVA tester there. He will only answer for himself on the day you ask, things change!