Advice Needed ... Urgent

Guest coops222

Guest coops222

hi guys,

i took my car for iva... it failed, on several things including emmisions....this was caused through old valve seals. so i got on with changing them, doing everything properly with new gaskets etc etc................

the date arrived for the retest, it was flying through including the emmisions, until it came to the speedo calibration,, to cut a long story short it was going well untill the car got to 70mph.... clouds of white/grey smoke bellowed out of the exhaust..... GUTTED!!! didnt pass because it didnt reach 70mph.

i put it down to head gasket or inlet gasket failing because it was running hot and i didnt put the manual fan on...... :80:

so i did it all again , bought new gaskets etc.... but noticed both gaskets were ok, so i checked all valves, valve seals etc etc.....

having put it all together again.. i started her up.. first time superb :clapping: no smoke..... untill i left it running for about 10 mins and give it some revs... then white/grey smoke again GUTTED AGAIN :sorry: :sorry: ....

whatever it is its from number 2 pot as there was oil seeping out from the exhaust outlet... ive took the head off AGAIN and still nothing obvious.. i thought the head may be cracked or something but all looks fine.

any ideas? its a 2ltr pinto and ive got until 30th oct for the retest........

Also check the valve guides. one of mine also on no2 was worn also. kept eating the seals. If you've got the head off pop the valve springs off and check the play by waggling the valve shaft in the guide. If it moves it's it worn.

HTH

Guest mower man

You may have filled the exhaust with water or oil or a mixture of both is the can repackable ? I had this afew times inthe past it takes ages to clear believe me! ,run it up make sure cooling system is bled out hopfully smoke will dissapear ,if its a repackable strip and repack HTH mower man

Guest Stuartl

You may have filled the exhaust with water or oil or a mixture of both is the can repackable ? I had this afew times inthe past it takes ages to clear believe me! ,run it up make sure cooling system is bled out hopfully smoke will dissapear ,if its a repackable strip and repack HTH mower man

I had a headgasket failure on an old Mazda tintop years ago and the exhaust filled up like Mick says.

Of course it was a standard fitment so I junked it and fitted another, problem solved.

had the same issue and turned out to be a valve stem seal popped off! have seen that some use the chv stem seals as the spring sits on them (no chance od popping off! took me ages to work it out and had the head off several times.

I would double check this on number two if i was you would have saved me a lot of time!

Guest coops222

thanks for all the advice guys,

i didnt realy notice any smell from the smoke although im pretty sure it was oil as it was seeping from the exhaust manifold.

ive checked the pot for scoring but it looks fine.

there is a little movement side to side in the valve guide but no more than the others... if this was the case wouldnt the valve seal be damaged? this also looks good.

i could have the head skimmed but what if its not that? more money down the drain.........

thinking about buying a modified head off ebay item number 320987202785 if that doesnt cure it then i reckon its game over, another unfinished kit car on ebay :cray:

Guest mower man

Have you run it up to temp yet ,any mis fire, isit down on power , as I said it cantake ages to clear the crap out of the silencer [oil /water in packing ] ,one vehicle I had probs with took around 500 mile before it cleared ,any chance of running it with out the silencer ? ,it would prove a point mower man

Guest coops222

had it up to temp and was no misfire or loss of power... just loads of smoke... you may be right about exhaust, but im going to buy modified head anyway,

ive got an old exhaust i can use when i restart, ill let you know of the result...

cheers :drinks: and wish me luck