Winter Build?

fry61

Now that the dark,wet nights are here it's time to go hide in the workshop & the next "play" project is the conversion of my windmill to electrical generation!!

Being a Hoody & a tight wad I wish to use the old A127 alternator from the Sierra.

Question -- how do I connect alternator to be "on stand-by" ready to deliver current when the wind blows & not have the exciter current/warning light permanantly connected; as I believe the alternator may throw a wobbly if "ignition" is always on -- waiting for the wind motor to turn?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of thoughts

1 a centrifugal switch that is onl closed when the wind motor is turning enough to generate

2 a cam swtch linkedvto a slow release relay to provide exciter current

Both will need some finely tweaked spring contacts

Guest Alan_builder

5 diodes 2 resistors a capacitor 3 terminal regulator 12v motor and a relay.

When windmill not turning or turning too slow the relay is not energized by the attached 12v motor as the voltage output from the regular will zero. 12v motor feeds 4 diodes to make a full wave bridge smoothed by the capacitor and the 5th diode or zener to set the cut in point of the 3 terminal regulator and hence switching power to the alternator at the appropriate wind speed.

Simple

it depends on a few things

1 what you are going to charge, batterys/ grid tie

2 how much torqe the is wind mill is putting out (with a flat battery a alternator is very hard to turn)

3 what are you looking to power from it

the easyest way is to use a permant motor but if you want ot use the alternator remove the outer coils from the alternator and replace them with permant magnets this get ride of the need for a exciter circuit and wiring, this way dosnt require no where near as much torqe, to regulated just buy or make a wind turbine regulator (cheep on flee bay)

Can't you just put an electric fan blowing onto your windmill so that you're not waiting for the wind to turn the motor....sorry......couldn't help myself! I blame the dark wet nights!

You guys with your new fangled steam engines!! wind & water mills are not finished yet.

Can't you wire in a centrifugal switch so that the switch is only "on" above a certain wind speed?

Simon.

Good call, some thing similar to the switches used on capacitor start motors of the 50's & 60's just normally open instead.

it depends on a few things

1 what you are going to charge, batterys/ grid tie

2 how much torqe the is wind mill is putting out (with a flat battery a alternator is very hard to turn)

3 what are you looking to power from it

the easyest way is to use a permant motor but if you want ot use the alternator remove the outer coils from the alternator and replace them with permant magnets this get ride of the need for a exciter circuit and wiring, this way dosnt require no where near as much torqe, to regulated just buy or make a wind turbine regulator (cheep on flee bay)

1. Batteries - not grid connected &3. max drain on stored energy 2kw.via inverter.

2.Torque ? 10 foot diameter mill head - 18 blades x 3 sq.ft each - curved blade; chord of which is 30 degrees off rotational arc ( 60 to wind shaft) Alternator with no exciter current has only bearing reluctance to overcome? or not?

Want to stay with alternator as is;will make for easy replacement/upgrade,& there will be enough tinkering/build/bodge as it is.

Guest Alan_builder

Alan, the black art of electronics -- a diagram would be useful -- why a bridge rectifier on a 12volt DC? circuit.

Diode bridge so the 12V motor can be AC or if DC can't be wired in the wrong way round. Can't find a drawing package on the forum so will need to spend extra time in another application and then I would stand no chance of being first to reply!

Give me some time and it will come.

1. Batteries - not grid connected &3. max drain on stored energy 2kw.via inverter.

2.Torque ? 10 foot diameter mill head - 18 blades x 3 sq.ft each - curved blade; chord of which is 30 degrees off rotational arc ( 60 to wind shaft)

Alternator with no exciter current has only bearing reluctance to overcome? or not?

2.Torque ? 10 foot diameter mill head - 18 blades x 3 sq.ft each - curved blade; chord of which is 30 degrees off rotational arc ( 60 to wind shaft)

with a low battery your wind mill might find it hard to turn(if it can turn it at all), and are you going you gear it to match the rpm

Alternator with no exciter current has only bearing reluctance to overcome? or not? yes

it is easer to use a permant motor but knowing you bob you are not going to take this route :)