Chassis Number

nigelt

Hi Guys,

Just a little confused here.

Do I make up the Chassis number and present it to DVLA/IVA or do I get the number from the DVLA first? IVA paper work suggests that I get one from the DVLA, but I seem to remember somewhere on here that you make it up yourself?

Also while I'm at it the IVA paperwork mentions that I should have some document about the fuel tank. I got mine with the kit so have no such document. Is this actually required?

Cheers

Nige

Car 2B Iva Feb 2011 First time pass We stamped our own 17 digit chassis number on the drivers side chassis rail & no questions/docs about fuel tank;it just had to be full up at IVA. (Think tank docs are req. for plastic tanks)

i made up my own for my SVA in 2007. I am not sure how you would check that the number isn't already in use. I guess the odds will be quite large with 17 digits but there are a lot of cars over the past 50 years +

I wrote my number on the SVA form when i submitted it so i guess they would check at that point and let you know if it was taken or didn't meet regs.

hth

I made up my own chassis number.

Usual conditions about ambiguous characters apply, dont use O, Q or I. Mine is a Zero GT so its:

GBSZER0GT + 8 digits

I used digits from my static IP address, other suggestions have been phone numbers in reverse order.

If you do get told that number you picked is already in use - go buy a lottery ticket quickly

Ian

Heck, even the digit 2 can be mis-read.

Two logbooks, tax discs and registration numbers later for the SAME car ...

(I kept the correct details obviously and hope that now DVLA have finally stopped chasing the Phantom it should be sorted.)

Moral: DON'T trust the DVLA to get things right :)

Simon.