Woodburner/ Multifuel Burner For Workshop

speedtripledan

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oil drums are a bit lightweight - I'd be worried about burning through after a season or so. One of the other nice things about a good thick lump of steel is that it keeps radiating heat after the actual fire has gone out so with a bit of foresight about when you are knocking off for the evening you can let it burn out before you've actually finished for the day but it's still radiating heat right up till the time you head for the sofa (and for a while afterwards) but there's no worry about leaving it lit and un-attended.

It's been known for people to weld up the holes in an old brake drum and fill it with old engine oil. Drop a rag or tissue in it to act as a wick and shove the whole lot into the burner and set light to the wick. I'd never do such a thing of course as there are all sorts of regulations about burning waste oil. I'd imagine a drum from a post '85 Mini would be a good bet as they have a built in spacer that would keep the hottest part of the drum off the surface it's sitting on. It's also not unknown to keep some wood soaking in a container of old engine oil before it's thrown into the burner.

Iain

I have one in the living room heats up all the water and rads too.

If you want a quick light, or to rekindle a gone out flame use an electric paint stripper/blower thingy with about 12-18" metal pipe fixed to the end

that you shove into the heart of the fire. It acts like electric bellows and the flames turn near as dammit to white hot.

Andi

. I'd never do such a thing of course as there are all sorts of regulations about burning waste oil.

Iain

I used to have a plentyful supply of old telegraph poles - cut split and dried, you didn't need firelighters to get it going, just a match. The heat was intense, but the smell outside was orrid. Neighbours got fed up with the smell too and reported me to the council..............

Si

B&Q are currently selling a biethonol fire that can be used indoors or in the garden as it is portable. Fuel is £5 per 2 Litres which apparently lasts 6-8 hours. The fire is £79 at the moment and apparently does not need a flue.

It's dearer than a cabinet heater but could be used in the garden when the wife want's a glass of wine outside without getting her feet cold!

Chris

Any combustion produces waste gases & the fire above aint breathing out clean air; would avoid 'cause at best everything in your 'shop made from steel will rust --- RAPIDLY.

I'd probably get away with the telegraph poles as it's only in the garage. I'm only out there when I'm not working which means evenings and weekends. Evenings when it's cold enough for me to need heat in the garage mean the neighbours are inside with the heating on and the windows closed. Weekends - more likely to be a clash with me being in the garage and them being out in their gardens so I watch what goes in there to try and keep it burning clean.

Space heaters are a bu@@er for creating condensation too. You do get some with an exhaust chimney where the combustion by-products can be taken outside though.

Iain

Ian, did you make a new draft regulator/ash door for yours? Mine was such a poor fit the fire roared up the chimney in minutes,so made one from brass sheet with fibre-glass rope seal & a wheel valve to control air in;still gets the workshop up to the low 20's very quickly.

mines a small gas bottle one.... heats the 25ft square garage very quickly.... draws hard, and the flue gets as hot as the fire.... have fins welded to the flue to reclaim some of the heat.... could stop it drawing so hard with a better door, but i like the fact that it burns out fairly rapidly if i dont feed it... i can make it go out in just over an hour, so dont have to worry so much when i leave it