Woodburner/ Multifuel Burner For Workshop

speedtripledan

Looks like the woodburner idea is none starter due to the flue, because my garage is built like the bungerlow it has large pitched roof and the flue would have to extended past the highest point according to building regs It which would need to run out of the roof thus needing a roofer and lead flashing etc so i cant be arsed as that in itself will cost more than the burner :aggressive: so its back to electric. Due to the space 9m x 6m i,m thinking its going to need at least 2 x 3kw heaters to heat it what are your experiances on electric heaters ? before i waste money buying something inappropriate...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not go for a portable butane Super-ser (I think it's called that) heater?

Only drawback is if the temperature goes below freezing, then they don't work so well (if at all as the gas liquifies at zero)

Simon.

This is a very poor idea Simon, unless this heater has a flue to outside the products of combustion will produce a litre of water vapour for every litre of gas burnt; think instructions for use on this type of heater say "Use in a well ventilated area" which rather defeats the object.

Guest outtolunch

B&Q are currently selling a biethonol fire that can be used indoors or in the garden as it is portable. Fuel is £5 per 2 Litres which apparently lasts 6-8 hours. The fire is £79 at the moment and apparently does not need a flue.

It's dearer than a cabinet heater but could be used in the garden when the wife want's a glass of wine outside without getting her feet cold!

Chris

Thanks for this had not heard of bioethanol fires before I had wanted a real fire for a long time and the cost and problems of opening up the fireplace in a rented property could not be justified but I brought one of these and it looks great, does not put out much heat so not suitable as a primary source of heating but knocks spots off candles and fake fires.

If my maths are correct (remember I still work in BTU's) 1kw output from this ethanol heater will cost 46p or a 6 hour burn using 2litre will give an output of 1.8 kw per hour. Standard rate electricy is only (sic) 12p per unit. So if your garage is mains connected get a I/R wall heater (or two) or a cheap as chips fan heater.

Guest outtolunch

With metric figures I got close to your figure of 46p kw but 2 litres burnt for more than 6 hours nearer 12 hours which ties up with the experience of one of the reviewers on the b&q site and gives it a 1 kw output which felt about right so in the case of a power cut will keep the chill off but if its a long cut the genny will have to come out to run the oil boiler which I worked out costs 7p per kw

ethanol 5.7 kw per lt at £2.50 + 2.28 kw for a £ 44p per kw

heating oil 10.5 kw per lt at £0.60 but boiler 82.5% efficiency = 14.32 kw for a £ 7p per kw