Few Questions, Shortened Sump, Pedal Box And Scuttle Panel/bonnet

Guest danny88

Guest danny88

Hey guys, im new to this forum and new to building a kit car too...so hello everyone!

I brought a partly built robin hood 2b the other week and am slowly stripping it back to the bare and correcting alot of build issues...Just taking my time as im new to it all. Ive had a few problems along the way, one being the pedal box and steering column etc. I removed all the fire wall pedal box etc as it had seemed to be mounted incorectly andf in the wrong position. The steering column runs in between the clutch and brake pedal with the steering column bearing/bracket behind...There isnt alot of room then for the accelerator pedal, allthough ive managed to mount it, there still isnt much clearance etc...Im also a bit worried about the pedal travel and the brake pedal touching/hitting the the column bracket/bearing...is there an easy fix for this? I have been using the colin usher website for ideas etc.

To start off with the 1.6 pinto engine fitted to the car had a standard sump attactched...so i removed the engine to change the sump etc and give me better ground clearance, but the one provided with the car, to me looks like a bit of a bad job to be honest with it being shortened yet with no extra oil capacity/box welded on the side. Once removing the standard sump i turned the engine over and i had a problem with cylinder 2....a bad creaking, grinding noise. Knowing this i decided to change the engine instead of rebuild it and have just brought a fully rebuilt rs2000 2.0 pinto engine off ebay with twin 40 carbs etc. But now i obviously need a shortened sump for it...Ideally i could do with a hand from someone if possibleplease, if either someone has one for sale or laying about that they would sell me, or just giving me a hand to re-do the current sump on the engine as i would prefer it to be right rather than myself cutting it about. And as the engine i have brought is worth in the region of 1400 i dont really want to mess it up.

The only other problem i have is where the previous owner had cut the bonnet/scuttle in the wrong place...so what would be the scuttle panel over hangs the firewall...it is cut just over the first set of fins...has anyone got any idea how to secure the bonnet/scuttle panel etc.

I hope you all dont mind me asking, but if anyone could help it would be much appreciated. I just want to make sure i do it right first time thats all.

thanks everyone,

danny

The pedal box aspect, it is tight for room down there its a case of make it best for your feet. Has the chassis been panaled on the right inside by your feet if so remove it from the pedal area.

i went through a few sumps in my 2b in the end a good friend welded one up for me which was basically shortend level with the bell housing and extended flat all the way to front using 3mm steel plate as the base that increased the oil capacity to more than standard.

joining the bonnet to the scuttle i made a lip from ali sheet attached that to the scuttle to give the bonnet something to sit on i also put pins in the chassis so the bonnet located on them stopping it sliping side ways i also put some ali angle at the front and back of the bonnet to make it more ridged..

as tim said add pictures i find photobucket the best way to upload using the "img tag"

Guest chrispine

HI, make sure you take plenty of pics of the car being built/rebuilt, preferably with you in them, so you can prove at IVA that the car has been privately built.

Chris

Guest danny88

Thanks guys for all the replies, its always hard to correct or change someone elses work. Its a shame because all the engine, transmission etc was fitted nicely then someones rushed the rest...

I will take some pictures and upload them to this post later this week...

I will order some bonnet fitting guides/pins etc...what is the best way to fit them? As I was wandering wether to but long bolts through instead?

As for the shortened sump I will see if I can adapt the one I already have and get a welder to weld it up for me...but if anyone does know someone with one going, would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys

Guest sadjagboy

You can run just shortening the sump without adding extra capacity, just always check your oil level before setting off, which you would do anyway?? I've run mine last year with no issues. For different bonnet cuts have a look here Joey's Bonnet and here Grizzly's for some ideas and guidance, I found both these sites inspirational during the 4yrs 11 mnths it took me to get to IVA.

Best regards

Angus