Spare Wheel Cover For Iva

Guest jwts

Hi,

What sort of spare wheel cover is required for the IVA? Does it need to be semi-rigid like this:

http://www.bargainwo...EL-COVER-(Black)

or is a soft one sufficient like this:

http://www.bargainwo...ain-Wheel-Cover

If you can suggest a supplier that would be useful too. I just found this site and don't know how good it is but it did have both sorts I was considering.

Regards,

John.

I also understand that SOME testers, tested the exposed tyre tread, therefore it's worth covering, one less possible fail point.

There is a lot of subjectiveness around the IVA, people have firm opinions even if they have not been through the IVA process, also the VOSA testers heve a level of interpretation available to them, as such there are some specifics such as seatbelt mount hight, exhaust noise and emmisions, the rest you have to be ready for.

We always take a big box of edge trim, nut covers, and some tools so we can perhaps correct an issue the tester finds that we can correct there and then.

My self and a friend have been to 7 or 8 SVA/IVA now ( him more than me) and not 1 has got through without a tweek on the day however they all passed first time ( well the 5 I have attended did).

There is also the other option of not fitting the spare for the IVA, all problems solved in one swoop.

On the Superspec, use some grommit blanks to cover the holes in the back panel.

Or, as on mine, glue the number plate light over these holes using hot melt glue (thanks Phil!). This also serves as the mounting position for the rear number plate. Went straight through IVA like this.

Oh, and the glue is easily removed afterwards allowing the spare to be fitted as normal.

Remember that if you present a car at IVA without a spare wheel, you may still need to have a jack and wheelbrace in the car (particularly if you've got drum brakes on the back) to comply with 09B Service Brake Control / Mechanical Components - RS24 ,ability to check the wear on the service brake linings from outside or underside of the vehicle. (Using only tools or equipment normally supplied with the vehicle).

This basically means the ability to use the jack to remove a rear wheel and check the brake lining through the inspection hole in the backplate.

Hi,

My thanks to those who replied to my question. As Al says there is no need to have a spare wheel for the IVA but I have mounted my rear number plate carrier on the spare wheel carrier and it looks odd without the wheel. Also there is the unlikely chance of a puncture on the way to/from the test.

I have ordered a soft cover but I won't fit the spare wheel bolts until I have the cover and am sure it will do the job. Is it OK to store the jack and related tools inside the wheel?

The spare wheel is vunerable (it has value just as scrap) and I was thinking of how to protect from an opportunist thief. The only idea I've had so far is to drill a hole through one of the mounting bolts and fit a small padlock. Anyone come up with a better idea?

Regards,

John.