One For The Mot Testers

Redspec

Quick question:-

One of the lads at work has a car that is due an MOT, The traction control light is on, NOT the ABS, is this a fail?

He just needs to know if he needs to spend the £450.00+ he has been quoted to have it fixed, and is getting mixed answers when he ask's "down the pub"

Thanks

Steve

Its not a Ford Focus is it, the wifes is booked in to be looked at for same problem.

Fix

Or

Replace

Daily

seems to be becoming the norm again.

Jez

Seat Leon

Seems to be a common problem with the VW based system

Guest jhfozzy

I don't know if a traction control system as such is in the new MOT, however, if you're talking about ESC (Electronic Stability Control), that IS a failure point in the new MOT.

Taking out or disabling the lamp will not work as the spiel in the manual for ABS / ESC / Airbags etc. is:

"lamp illuminates and then goes out as normal in the correct sequence"

So if it doesn't come on and then go out (or stays on), it's a fail.

HTH,

John.

Unfortunately vosa have stated with airbags the system check is NOT part of the test, they are aware that it opens it up to abuse, lamp removal etc, but they don't seem bothered hence at the last regional seminar over 50% of the nt's attending walked out in disgust.

Guest airevalley

Hi All.

The Abs light must come on and go out in the correct manner ( if it stays on then it indicates a fault ) , This is part of the MOT test.

Esp light , Traction control lights while linked to the Abs are only Pass/Advise items on the MOT as it stands at the minute ( as long as the abs light stays out )

It was supposed to have been changed to include these items as fails if not working correctly back in April but As of yet they have not been included but Will be shortly .

The chap with the Seat leon I suspect will be showing a fault saying " brake pressure sensor G201 " .

This requires partial replacement of the abs pump , it takes 2-3 hours and the part should cost around the £150 ish mark .

Its very common with Audi A3 , Golf , Touran and seats .

Personally I think there should be a recall done as its such a common manufactuer fault but opinions count for nowt .

I 'm a newbie to Rhoc and just bought an unfinished project ( very unfinished ) - (a, 2B )

so hi to all .

john