Tin Top Starter Problem

Andi

The wife has a Fix It Again Tomorrow punto she uses to ferry the nipper about in.

It is really starting to live up to its reputation and I would like to get rid of it in the summer. The power steering went and I found some great help on the net, took out the electric motor, desoldered all cables, removed circuit board and desoldered and resoldered back all components put it back together and unbelievably it works a treat.I even found an alarm system strapped under the dash that we knew nothing about (left that well alone).

Now when I start it, it has developed a screeching noise (not like a fan belt noise though and its not coming from the PAS motor either) that goes on for a couple of seconds when I release the key even when the car is warm. It seems like the starter is not disengaging quick enough. Is there a way to test this, not that I can even see the bl**dy thing but I know its at the back of the engine.

Any thoughts?

Andi

Guest scrabster

hi andi, had a similar prob on the daughters audi tt, took the starter off and cleaned all the dust and crud off then sprayed wd40 on the gear where it slides in and out whilst i spun it via 12v battery,hey presto,no more noise.hth.

regards,jess.

hi andi, had a similar prob on the daughters audi tt, took the starter off and cleaned all the dust and crud off then sprayed wd40 on the gear where it slides in and out whilst i spun it via 12v battery,hey presto,no more noise.hth.

regards,jess.

Cheers Chaps,

Seems to confirm what I was thinking, and Jess that sounds like the kind of cheap fix I was hoping for.

Andi