Fail At Gillingham Today

Guest jwts

Hi,

I failed on two points:

1. The handbrake worked but was at the end of its travel (09C:RS 13)

2. The headlamp cut-off pattern was incorrect (25:RS 10 and RS 11)

The headlamps use a pair of Wagner sealed beam units (supplied by RH) and basically he couldn't find a dip pattern.

I have a retest booked and a pair of replacement non-sealed beam units is on order from CBS.

The retest is mid morning, can I book the DVLA process on the same day while the car is still on the transporter? The VOSA testing station and the DVLA offfices are only about 20 miles apart.

John.

Guest peter2b2002

i did but that was 10 years ago, strange about your head lights, my 2B got through it's sva ok with the ones I got with the kit,

hows Herne Bay, ? I came down there last year with my brother and our Mum's ashes to spread at Herne , then went fishing at Reculver, only caught sea weed :mellow:

peter2b

Headlights could be wired wrong. Three blades and the middle one on the bulb isn't earth although it is on the wiring diagram. If by chance you connect up earth at one end then main, then dip you can only change between main and main with dip, hence no dip pattern. (Or the lights lenses could be rubbish).

See pic below.

Nigel

post-21-0-32200900-1353621497_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-55300800-1353621855_thumb.jpg

Guest robinj66

If I was you John I would pop in to DVLA with all your paperwork and start the process - you can then book the build up "inspection" for the day of your IVA.

Your next problem will be parking on the day - double yellows outside the office and a pay car park over the road which is tight for space.

Good Luck

Did you include any adjustment for the handbrake inner cable? I fitted 2 standard outer sheath adjusters,one at each end of a split tube to be able to take out slack on inner after welding replacement nipple on pass.side drum; works great & handbrake still only comes on 3 clicks of ratchet.

Guest stevenkirk

My 2B Superspec on its first MOT just about passed with the original sealed beams from RH - examiner said the beam pattern was crap and would fail with the new regs. coming in this year - I replaced the sealed beams with replacement H4 units from The Kitspares website - far better pattern and brighter too as the old ones were 40/45w.

If I was you John I would pop in to DVLA with all your paperwork and start the process - you can then book the build up "inspection" for the day of your IVA.

Your next problem will be parking on the day - double yellows outside the office and a pay car park over the road which is tight for space.

Good Luck

Robin.

I've been over to Maidstone to pick up some forms and checked it out. First problem is that the person who does the BUVI is only there every other Wednesday and tomorrow is one. So the next day it can be done is 12 December. The transporter is a truck not a trailer so he might be able to get in the nearer car park unless there is a height restriction (I must confess I didn't think to look for that).

So I'll complete the paperwork as much as I can and as soon as I get the pass certificate I'll get over there to try and get that date arranged.

Then it will be another £70 to get the car there. By the time I've paid the reg fee and taxed the car there won't be much change out of a thousand pounds for IVA, registration and tax. I sometimes wonder if it would not have been more fun for the past four years to sit in a comfy chair and tear up £10 notes.

Too late now :) .

John.

My 2B Superspec on its first MOT just about passed with the original sealed beams from RH - examiner said the beam pattern was crap and would fail with the new regs. coming in this year - I replaced the sealed beams with replacement H4 units from The Kitspares website - far better pattern and brighter too as the old ones were 40/45w.

Steven,

It was the beam pattern (or lack of it) that the inspector failed. I've changed to H4 headlamp units and a pair of Osram Nightbreakers. I already had a new H4 bulb so I was able to compare directly a new +30% H4 and the Nightbreaker and the Nightbreaker was definitely brighter and whiter. Plus a very pleasing but subtle faint blue tinge :) . The new headlamps really do look the business.

Regards,

John.