2.0 Pinto , With A High Lift Cam - Do I Go For Webbers Or A Set Of Bik

Guest airevalley

Guest airevalley

Hi All .

Nebie here on first build .

Slowly building a 2b , It has a 2.0 pinto with a re-jetted webber .

I'm allready looking at bigger and better fueling .

I am a bit old school and was going to go for a pair of 45 webbers or dellorto's but it seems to be quite popular to run a set of bike carbs?

I'm happy to try bike carbs if they deliver the right amount of horses and looking at fleabay they appear to be far better value than the equivilant old style carbs .

I would appreciate anyone's opinion / disscusion ?

thanks john 8)

Guest airevalley

wow , Simple as that ....

I thought it was to good to be true esp as there cheaper as well .

Ok .... Next question ......

Which type are best , and /or any particular brand better than others ,

there seem to be plenty about , Priced from £99 - £400

thanks .

its a matter of personal choice iv'e been on twin 40 dellortos for the past two years and not had to touch them once running pinto 2.1 170 BHP, yes bike carbs are cheaper and easy to set up, but a good set of twin's are not as bad as some may make out, the only bad point is the price tag£££££££

My point exactly

Why pay £450 a pair for Webers when bike carbs can be picked up really cheap

Generally match rear port size to head inlet port size but any rear size of 34 to 40mm will fit

Many use R1 carbs, I have a set and some split GSXR 750 Mikuni's on a parallel manifold, to be honest splitting the carbs and gabbing the throttle links is more pain than its worth, get a manifold made to fit

The main issue for me with Webers is the huge price off re jetting, its not just the mains but all the air corrector a, idle circuits etc its at least £100 (4x every jet )when you set up on top of the purchase price plus if they are second hand and worn, more expense.

Bike carbs tend to be just a set of 4 jets or drill them out, and a bit of fiddling

agree with Paul on that one..

When I did my 48's;

4x emulsion tubes - £45

4x main jet - £8

4x idle jet - £8

4x air correction - £6

4x accel pump jet - £20

4x 36mm chokes - £60

Total cost for full jetting and chokes = £147 quid although if you buy 45's you should'nt have to re-choke

Bike carbs tend to be just a set of 4 jets or drill them out, and a bit of fiddling

that easy?

http://www.dansmc.com/carbs2.htm

have a few years experiance in the bike trade, took a techy four hours and a rolling road to dynojet an R1, bearing in mind the kit was bike spesific and all he was doing was fine tuning to exhaust and induction mods. can't see carbs designed for a 1 ltr will be easier when fitted to a 2 ltr engine but hay ho, everyone appears to be doing it and getting extremly impressive BHP, economy, emmissions, improved 0 to 60 times etc etc.......

makes you wonder why they changed to fuel injection?

however, that said, a little tounge in cheek, you can get them "relativly servicable" drilling the jets, lifting the needles and playing with the float heights, if adjustable. but even then they can go very lean at steady throttle settings due to the air correction system, which should also be rejetted to suit.

they work, but are not perfect on a car setup, and will require time with a knowledable rolling road to be at their best.

Just my opinion.

Fuel injection using bike throttle bodies is my next project and I am researching right now

Fuel injection allows you to map specifically for the engines needs in nearly all situations so is the next step after multiple carbs

It may not release much more bhp than a good carb setup but drivability and fuel economy will be much improved

I already have 3D mappable ignition

• 1 year later...