Robin Hood Exmo ; Iva Test?!

Guest Chris Russ

Guest Chris Russ

Hi All;

.......Help!! - im looking for re-assurance!

Having bought an unregistered Exmo, with help from you guys managed to send the docs' off to book the dreaded IVA test, -- having got bored with waiting for comfirmation of the booking, thought i'd give GBS a call & enquire on the price & procedure to return my Exmo to its origins & get them to do the hard work with the IVA & registration..............

After explaining my situation to the guy there, he dropped a bit of a bombshell on me -- Due to the monocoque ( excuse the spelling! ) construction of the Exmo, some IVA test stations are refusing to test/pass them??!!

A couple of members don't seem to think this is a widespread issue, & possibly only the Lightweight model would be affected, but im obviously a 'little' concerned........ive decided that Norwich may be more favourable than Edmonton for the test, -- But has anyone come accross this issue, & if so, is there a solution PLEASE, ......any info is greatly appreciated!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm sure it would be possible, not done an iva so can't give any facts although

I do know somebody whos father is a tester at the Beverley centre so will try and get more info for you next week.

I am in the middle of rebuilding my Exmo and i'm comming to the conclusion i would have been better off starting a new Zero build for the amount its costing me, although some of it is down to the age of the car and original build methods used.

• 3 weeks later...

S3 recently passed on Locostbuilders

The only failures to date have been the aluminium lightweight

http://locostbuilder....php?tid=176858

unfortunatly, not quite true. I know of at least one S7 in steel.

the Monocoque type of vehicle is disliked by a number of test stations, true some are more perdantic than others, and if you carry out some mods, note the owner does say he "re-engineered the vehicle, on the right day, with the right tester, you can get anything through.

Although a very clean looking build, I would suggest this might be an example of the "right tester", steering wheel?, bonnet clips?

Just wish I could make out the test center on the cert :D

Which test centre do you know of that have failed the monocoque on chassis structure?

I am still not aware of any that have failed on this point only the lightweight

Lets only talk of what we know and not scaremonger

The problem with the lightweight was that the basic chassis structure was questioned by VOSA the Monocoques have not been questioned in this manner, some indeen have failed SVA & IVA but not on structure, yes there are points that must be addressed but these are well documented and much less that a remanufactured as stated.

Norwich is well known to the Essex Kit car club and I have attended 5 times once with my monocoque S3 they are thorough and professional and at the same time reasonable and flexible enough to allow some tweeking.

The base structure of my S3 was not questioned

Edited by Snapperpaul

Guest mower man

Just to add my 2p's worth ,this is where the present set up falls down ,if a mono car can be passed at one station ,why should another fail it ?,is it down to bad info , bad planning or some one doing the job's worth bit ? .As an ex MOT tester I recall some instances of all these points being raised but tried to work to one std i.e. would I take my wife out in the car being tested ? ,it seems nowadays that theat common sense has been thrown out once and forall !!. Ihad at one time considered building a l/w robin hood untill I recalled that on the day I got my tester's cert the course attenders were told that pop rivets were not allowed for repairs neither was brazing and all repairs should be gas welded , being a cheeky sod I asked if pop rivets were good enough for aeroplanes and racing cars why not for mot repairs I was told quietly not to ask such questions and sit quietly as I was upsetting senior members of Ministry staff who were observivng this particular course ! never did get an answer , this may explaine why the lightweight was not favoured ? . I run as/s mono R.H. that is part bolted ,part riveted part welded, together , I doubt it would go though IVA mainly because of sharp edges etc but it passes MOT every year usually with no advisories and minimal repair . .No system will be perfect but some of the stories I have heard over IVA beggar belief , better stop now as I may get inio a rant mowerman

My point was that the Mono has not failed due to the tester questioning the integrity of the chassis

The lightweight did although the lightweight in question which started all the controversy was seen by a friend of mine after the failure and he disc robed it as an extremely badly constructed car with many of the required rivets not installed leaving hole, the rivets that were in were not fully pulled right and there was little sign of bonding.

Guest Chris Russ

It's intresting to read the comments on my post, thanks to you all! -- with only just over 2 weeks to go until 'judgement day' there's very little I can do about the body integrity now, so am concentrating on the last bits

such as getting the demister/ heater fan powerful enough to do something! - (found out after doing the plumbing that

the 'micro heater ' I purchased simply isnt up to it!!! ) - now resorted to a good old Austin Mini one!

--Anyhow, i'll post my results, Pass or Failure, shortly after the 15th January, so members can use them for reference! ......maybe i'll use my membership of the Essex Kitcar Club to namedrop at Norwich?!

Cheers Guys & Happy New Year!

Chris.

Which test centre do you know of that have failed the monocoque on chassis structure?

Nottingham and Southampton to my Knowledge

I am still not aware of any that have failed on this point only the lightweight

I know of an S7

Lets only talk of what we know and not scaremonger

I don't think its a case of scaremongering, just a case of stating the fact that it will be more involved, not impossible, to get a Mono through IVA as you acknowlage.

yes there are points that must be addressed but these are well documented and much less that a remanufactured as stated.

so it is reasonable to say you can't get the original kit through without modification, the standard, and amount of modfication required, will be dependant on the tester on the day, although I must agree with Mowerman the tester should not matter, the standard, what ever it is, should be the same everywhere.

should we say nothing and let people make an expensive error, OR advise caution, seek advice from their test center, and be aware they will have to modify the vehicle with the added expence this will bring.

IMO the latter point of veiw is the fairer, especialy as not everyone has the mechanical or fabrication ability to get the kit through.

What needs to be said is that the Lightweight failed on chassis construction the monos have not

This is the worry of mono owners who have not passed IVA

Any IVA fail points can be addressed on a mono, chassis construction on a lightweight is a different afair however GDC did address the problem to great success

The other points are not much different to any kit build and research and care should be applied

For the new builder this is a big worry and we the knowledgable should make this clear to not do so creates a big worry for the new owners

As i understand it;

Any kit can fail an iva if it has been built without following the iva standards. Even the zero can fail if you incorrectly mount headlights, have shape edges, the list is endless........This rule applies to the mono's as much as the zeros.

Generally speaking, the zero kit "out the box" built to instructions will pass an iva in standard form (im taking nothing away from those who have passed iva because full credit is deserved).

Generally speaking, a mono kit "out the box" built to instructions will not pass iva in standard form. Slight alterations to the design are required to bring it up-to-date with current iva standards....NOTE: this will probably apply to today's zero kits in 10 years time as iva rules change!!

Finally there is the lightweight, which is a separate matter all together and is tar-ing all monos with the same brush. The standard lightweight design is not "fit for purpose" without extensive redesigning of the kit (mono chassis). VOSA flagged this kit....not all monos.

I look forward to hearing how you get on with the iva. Best of luck

I did receive a reply to my earlier query about mono chassis from the technical officer for car approvals (IVA) VOSA. He states that the chassis requirements for IVA and SVA have not changed. When dealing with an early mono car (stainless or mild steel) attention should be given to ensuring structural mountings for controls and seatbelts may need strengthening. Otherwise it's down to the examiner on the day to decide if the structural rigidity of the chassis is acceptable. It should be. There is no bar to the monocoques passing IVA.

Nigel

My Words reading between the lines. Lightweights would need considerable, extensive, massive work to satisfy chassis structural rigidity requirements but even they are not 'blacklisted' as such.

• 3 weeks later...

but i have passed 2 svas with lightweights ?

the first to be tested was a crock , it had been rushed to completion.

it was constructed in a single garage in a very hot summer and i believe the owner wanted a quick completion .

to be fair the lightweight had its problems , i shot my diff . but with nearly 200 horses .

graham