Winter Protection.

Guest Mr_Frosty

Guest Mr_Frosty

Hey to all those that haven't got access to a garage or shed to keep your kit in over the winter months and even those with good ideas. What is best for keeping your car outside?

I've got the obvious things like under 2 covers and off the ground with the wheels off, but my main issue at the moment is the condensation that seems to happen on the inside?

Anyway to stop this? I've had a small look into these. http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649 car dehumidifiers. Are they any good?

Thanks.

The item on E-bay will absorb just under half a mug full of water before it needs heating to dry out;doesn't sound much. Some guys on here have built a ply box that the kit will just fit in,with a fair slope to the roof to throw off rain & ice melt it should help keep the inside warmer & less likely to condensate. Sorry above is only ideas as Florin sits in double glazed/heated/workshop (& I'm too old for kerbside motor-works)

Guest Mr_Frosty

Thanks for the reply.

Ah that isn't much. good job I only had a quick look.

You know I did think of building a little lean to type thing but I'm not sure how well my parents will take it.

I'd love for it to be kept in a garage with heaters but I've got some nice gravel to crawl about on. :( makes working on my cars a drain sometimes.

Guest Ian & Carole

Mine when the Beauford and Daimler took pride of place in the garage.

009.jpg

No detrimental effects started on the button when the snow was brushed off.

It now has its own 19x10 shed to live in.

Guest peter2b2002

how much do you want to spend? a chap up the road has a old jag SS120 in a plastic tent/bag with a blower /heater/dehumidifier running all the time I think it cost £300 ish or ask a local farmer if he has some room in a barn

peter2b

• 1 month later...
Guest edmorton

Hi, I thought I'd better share this experience and perhaps save someone else from making a costly mistake. I've just completed a Zero, (with help from lurking on the forum so thanks for that!) and I'm shuddering to think that I nearly killed it before it set out on the road.

I live in a conservation area, in a fairly wild part of West Yorkshire, so once your garage is full the only options are build another one to satisfy the local planning department (i e build a small brick house for c. £20K), car covers (never found one that worked) or various "temporary" shelters that fall outside of the planning laws.

I've used Dancover and Protech portable shelters for nearly 5 years. They are brilliant, shrugging off wind, snow and driving rain with aplomb. The airspace is well ventilated so dampness doesn't accumulate and after years of storage the cars remain bone dry. The point here is that some temporary garages can work extremely well for prolonged periods in adverse weather conditions.

Recently, I needed more storage, haven fallen into the trap of acquiring a couple too many "unmissable" parts and projects. Feeling reasonably confident with the whole concept of PVC and tarpaulin garages, and, after a chat with the local planning officer, I decided to move a little up market and try some thing a bit bigger.

Inexplicably, rather than go back to a company that I trusted and had faith in, I bought a storage tent form a company that advertises on ebay from outside of the UK. To be clear, this was advertised as a heavy duty tent that was suitable for year round use, and it was the company's intent to provide 24/7 Germanic build quality.

Please, don't do the same thing! After a few weeks eight of the tube joiners in the tent frame had failed (the welds hadn't penetrated into the base material to any real extent) and the tent almost collapsed. The company concerned eventually replaced the failed connectors, and I wasted my time rebuilding the tent, because a month later in the recent snow it collapsed completely. Sadly a rather nice Fiat X1/9 and an even nicer Alfa GTV were underneath it. Both have been extensively damaged.

According to the company concerned all year round doesn't mean in winter or in snow. Apparently in winter the correct procedure is to take whatever is being stored in the shelter and leave it out in the snow, to rot. Then the tent should be dismantled and stored somewhere safe. In one of their competitors shelters perhaps? This advice is in incredibly small print on the last page of the instructions. Unsurprisingly, it's not mentioned in the advertising blurb.

Please learn from my mistake. There are some excellent temporary garages out there, but sadly some are deviously marketed junk.

Ed.