Vin Plate

Guest JammyJim

Guest JammyJim

Hi i am building a 2B and have purchased a vin plate from GBSC on it is a space for year of manufacture, what should i stamp ? 2013 for IVA nx year, 1989 as per doner or leave blank. I hope to get an age related reg.

Thanks Jim

Guest airevalley

Slightly different subject . What is the big deal about getting an age related plate ? Everyone knows that all kit cars are based very loosly around a spercific model but in reality they arnt they same .

What are the benifits or is it just snobbery of the owner not wanting a "q" reg .

I genuinley dont understand, as it makes no difference to the performance of the car and bears no credit to the time the owner/ builder has put in .

or am I missing something obvious in which case I feel silly !

ta jh

Guest Alan_builder

Year of manufacture is the year it passes IVA

NO

Its the date you finish building your car. (or ready for IVA) So finish it prior to Christmas and it was built in December 2012. Finish it in January it's a 2013 car.

So the answer to your question is 2013

-------------------------

The Q plate question.

Go to the scrap yard and purchase bits, you can only have a Q plate. (Origin of the bits unknown)

Using a single donor with log book and you may have an age related plate (not the original car's)

Q plates at IVA & MOT is only a smoke test, age related plate emissions depend on the age of the engine if you prove the age at IVA.

Aa CMA says for the private plate on a Q

Semantics

In practice most people consider the build finished when presented for the test

I wanted the year of test as the year of completion and year of registration so all matched

Didn't want it to look like it had been stood in a field like production cars for a year.

It's your car so you can put year of completion when you like, just leave 1 nut cover off till the day of the test then complete the build on the day

Guest Alan_builder

Semantics

I don't know if you mean me or you!

Your first statement is "WRONG"

I say this for 2 reasons;-

JammyJim has got the wrong end of the stick from what you said! (If the VIN plate is not filled in the car is not finished!)

You are saying, a car taking its IVA in December 2012 and passing would be a 2012 car but if it faild and passed in the following January 2013 it would be a 2013, and that my friend is WRONG!

I totally agree with what you have written below, I thought the bit about the final nut to obvious to say, from what I had written, we all know the later a car was manufactured the more worth it has.

In practice most people consider the build finished when presented for the test

I wanted the year of test as the year of completion and year of registration so all matched

Didn't want it to look like it had been stood in a field like production cars for a year.

It's your car so you can put year of completion when you like, just leave 1 nut cover off till the day of the test then complete the build on the day

My westy v8 was a 1986 and a Q plate and it made no difference whats so ever in fact it hid the age where as my robin hood was sva'd 2006 and had a a 1983 A plate which like a Q was non transferable. At the end of the day it matters little what date you put on it its your choice i would put it as the date it becomes road legal and registered, why make the car older than it has to be ?

Guest JammyJim

The reason for not wanting an Q plate was that when i was younger nobody wanted to buy a Q plate because it usually ment the car had been put back on road after being written off or stolen recovered as CMA has said. This was in the day when the only kit was the beach buggy, as for year of manufacture i will put as per IVA year ie 2013

thanks for all replies

Guest Alan_builder

My westy v8 was a 1986 and a Q plate and it made no difference whats so ever in fact it hid the age

A good point, however some of us like an old plate on an old replica car like the 7.

my robin hood was sva'd 2006 and had a a 1983 A plate which like a Q was non transferable.

Oh we were talking about putting a personal plate on a Q plated car.

It seems prety obvious you can't put an age related plate on any other car.

Both Age related and Q plates are not transferrable as they are for a specific car, they can't be used as personal plates under DVLA rules.

At the end of the day it matters little what date you put on it its your choice i would put it as the date it becomes road legal and registered, why make the car older than it has to be ?

That could get you a fail at IVA the car is not complete as it has no date of manufacture, like I said earlier!

so your age related plate is from the late 50,s / 60,s like the lotus 7? sierra's were an 80,s creation were they not ? the non transferable was a statement of fact from my previous v5's that some may or may not have known about as i tried to retain the robinhood reg and was unable to. As for iva i have no idea i find it more cost effective to buy built cars and improve them...

Just to add a twist to this topic, I purchased a VIN plate from GBSC stamped up to the year 2000 when the chassis was manufactured and incorpareted the year 2011 into the vin number after doing many mod's to the chassis before powder coating.

So am I wrong in thinking that this would not be acceptable for IVA or DVLA or do I have to get another plate with the year of manufacture as 2013 when it all should be ready for IVA?