2L Pinto With Bike Carbs Missfire

keith kelly

The 1600 pinto in the zero has been replaced with a 2L with zx6r bike carbs. The engine has been honed out with new rings and we have very good compression across all cylenders.

The issue is that number 1 is not firing and number 3 is intermittant. and we cant workout why. When we spray carb cleaner into number 1 if fires??

what we have done so far.

changed the leads

changed the plugs

check we have good spark by earthing leads and turning over

drilled out jets on carbs

swapped internals of number 1 carb to number 4 to see if problem moves (it doesnt) (though jet may be blocked)

increased fuel pressure

changed dizzy cap

changed amp

changed coil

checked air flow across carbs are same.

we are fresh out of idea's now, can anyone provide any advise?

regards

keith

Guest scrabster

hi, i had this problem with fireblade carbs when i built my zero, no amount of stripping and cleaning cured it, took them back to gbs and richard couldnt find the problem so i had the set of the demo car in the end.sorry this isnt the cure your after.

regards,jess.

Cleaned the badger guts out the carbs? X

ha ha, this engine does not have badget or bird guts on it!

have put the old carb off the 1600 on and she runs so definatly the carbs, does anyone have any idea what the issue is or have a set of zx6r bike carbs thay would like to sell??

check diaphams in good condition

main jets drilled?

float levels checked? adjusted to raise float level if poss.

lift needle jets? if possible

mixture screws balanced? start at 2.5 turns out from full seated. adjust mixtures on each carb for best tickover.

if you still have the problem its probably an internal blackage, known problem with bikes as they often stand over winter with stale fuel. good carb cleaner can shift, but at worse microwave cleaner has no effect and its another set.

If you do use carb cleaners, remove the diaphragms first. Or they curl up and die. Ask me how I know?

I have a spare set Keith, Not much good jet wise itc but you could swap all your gubbings over to them and give em a try.

Andi

Guest tiggertom

look for air leak on manifold/mounting rubbers had same problem it was under 2 carbs clips had sliped allowing air in hence firing when spray carb cleaner in enriching mixture