Bodywork

Guest michael.lynockm

Guest michael.lynockm

So near and so far away! My Zero is almost ready to meet Simon, GBS, for the final once-over before it goes for the SVA. I thought it about time I actually got into the Zero, made a few BrummBrumm noises and drive it out of the garage. At this late stage, to my horror, I'm finding that with my foot on the accelerator and as far to the right as possible I'm covering the brake pedal too! With my left foot on the clutch pedal I'm finding I'm covering the brake pedal! The pedals are as far apart as they will go at the moment ! The only option is to remove my feet!

Anyone encountered the same problem?

Regards

Mike

Guest mcramsay

i found the pedals extremely tight on the zero, i heated up the clutch pedal and put almost llike an S bend in the pedal, this kinked it over towards the gearbox but still kept the pedal straight, i believe i did the same of the accelerator.

Hi,

Same problems here too (or so I thought).

With the accelerator I put a bend in to get it as far over as possible then set the pedal lower than the brake pedal with the cable adjuster.

In driving mode i rest the outside of my foot on the side panel and slide down onto the accel pedal.

Similar arrangement with the clutch with bends etc.

No resting place for left foot causes some pain but I can often rest left foot under the pedal as my car only seems to need 5th gear.

Pre getting it on the road I thought I would never be able to drive it with the pedal arrangement but it is surprisingly easy.

Ozz

IF you are in build or rebuild mode (like Craig) see how much room there is between bell housing & tunnel side,with our 2B it was enough to allow a rework of tunnel side to give a 2" step for resting left foot on & not having any inner skin on allowed throttle pedal to be inside the line of chassis rails.

Yes I know they are working on Zero's but the 2B would need pixie/race boots if standard tunnel installed.

my zero has a recessed kinky bit in the tunnel which gives more clutch room and as above the accellerator is inside the line of the chassis rail. I am 6' 4" and have size 12 feet and find them close but far enough not to be a big issue.

I have a new pedal set from GBS which the pedals are the same as the ones fitted but the pads on the end of the clutch and accesllerator are more offset which will give me more room when i get round to fitting them.

if i didnt have the recess in the tunnel pannel i dont think i would be able to drive it.

Guest mcramsay

what i did was mount the very very last tunnel cover panel (on the drivers side, the one to the left hand side of the clutch pedal) was to mount this panel on the gearbox side of the box section, rather than in the footwell panel, i know its only 1" box section, but it gives you another 1" to play with!

what i was tempted to do but didnt have access to a welder at the time, was to cut the square section of the pedal off well grind away the welds(the bit you actually press) and on the clutch pedal offset the square pushing section to the left, and then reweld. this keeps the pedals in the same place, and just changes the bit you physically press.

to be honest the accelerator and brake being so close is kind of a bonus, rather than doing heal toe, to press the brake and blip the throttle, if you have wide enough feet you can do the same thing with the ball of your foot!

not that i have ever done that before.

Guest michael.lynockm

Thanks guys for your informative replies. I'm glad to know it's not just me.

Back to the garage and the drawing board!

many thanks

mike