How To Change Engine Size On My Log Book

richardm6994

Haven't even looked at the engine number on my logbook and I know the engine has been changed from Pinto to Redtop. Judging by the way everything else was carried out I bet it still bears the mark of the Pinto. I'll keep an eye on these posts to see what the best route to follow will be. I wonder what legal implications leaving it alone would have. Who actually cares anyway? The insurance company were certainly not interested in what engine was in the car only the size so they would be none the wiser. DVLA certainly like to make doing the right thing difficult. Even if the engine turned out to be out of a stolen car how far back do their records go? And what are they going to do about it? Some of these engines are donkeys years old now. I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it.

I've swopped a couple of pinto engines into my car over the years and I know for certain that the last pinto engine number wasn't the same as the log book said and also it was a 2.1 and not the 2.0 stated in the log book.

However now is a different story....having a 3.9 V8 when the log book says 1993cc is surely asking for trouble hense why I'm changing it!

• 4 weeks later...

I changed engine in another car a couple of years back (same type of engine but a new capacity and number on the V5) as part of a registration of a plate transfer. Provided no further details/receipts etc and the V5 came back all good and updated :). I guess at times you can be lucky and it creeps through unnoticed...

Mmmm

I have 3 Pinto's which I swap in and out while I rebuild/modify, the V5 would be permenanelly on its way to or returning from DVLA

I may have to write a letter explaining the situation and see if I get a reasoned reply

I know insurance will do anything to get our of paying! I can just image an insurance inspector visiting a wrecked car with a tick-box report sheet contain a series of standard questions such as.....

"engine number correct in log book" etc...etc...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest matvic

I sent my v5 all filled in with a receipt from the seller (unfortunately he only wrote pinto and not the engine size) and they are requesting more info. Any of the following: letter from garage, letter from RAC/AA or letter from an owners club confirming the engine size.

Is there a RHOCaR letter head? I could show someone the engine at Newark!

• 9 years later...

Interesting, because I have almost the same problem - mine says 1600 but I am confident it is a 2 litre. Everyone confirms that 205 blocks are 2l, but I have yet to find any official source to reference to confirm that to the DVLA. Ditto for my local garage who say it is but won't put in writing!

I'm thinking of writing to Ford to see if I can get a reply from them to quote or booking it in to Ford garage for them give me a report. Another option is that I am thinking about getting it tuned on a rolling road - can anyone recommend one in Lincolnshire (or close)? - and maybe they would have the confidence to confirm the engine size at the same time.

Personally I am not too worried, but I would  like to correct it just in case I ever want to sell as any other prospective owner might not believe me. It is insured as a 2l.

Interesting suggestion about the Club though.. Are any Club officials prepared to write on headed paper that a Ford Pinto 205 is 2l and not a 1600cc?

On 5/17/2013 at 12:17 PM, brumster said:

I changed engine in another car a couple of years back (same type of engine but a new capacity and number on the V5) as part of a registration of a plate transfer. Provided no further details/receipts etc and the V5 came back all good and updated :). I guess at times you can be lucky and it creeps through unnoticed...

What would worry me is if you tell them it has changed and they ask questions and want documentation what might be the implications if you don't supply it?

Edited by Jonty Wild