Rear Fog Light

Guest JammyJim

Guest Jonnyround2003

Hi,

I used the old sierra loom and decided rather than add a relay I took a feed via diodes directly from the dip and headlight power. This fed the fog light switch directly. I followed the instructions on here somewhere, quick and easy.

Hi I need to do this to my wiring can you show me by pictures where you put this in line please Cheers Jon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Jonny, Mark has taken the feed to the two diodes from the wires that go from the switch/relay/fusebox area to the actual headlight bulbs. The method he has used has pretty much the same wiring diagram as the last one I did you. The only change is that he does not use a relay but puts a diode in each splice and then joins their outputs to feed power to the foglight switch.

Nigel

post-21-0-72063600-1424526065_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longboarder

You have the diodes the wrong way round. It won't work the way you have drawn them above.

Turn both diodes around so that the stripe on the ends (cathode) are connected together.

(Corrected)

Thanks,

Simon.

I have now built the first Fog light controller from a kit of parts as seen below. I will be testing this soon and will hopefully have some ready for sale soon and will post full details once I have an instruction manual made up for it.

post-4714-0-89862400-1424524115_thumb.jpg post-4714-0-06046500-1424524129_thumb.jpg

Edited by Simon B

If I were you I would change the post and I can amend mine. If anybody reads your post and not my follow up, it won't work for them.

(Corrected)

The two arrows should point away from the main dip lights and towards the fog light switch. If you amend your post, I will fix my post too.

Thanks,

Simon.

Edited by Simon B

Guest Jonnyround2003

Hi guys this is a wiring diagram I hope this makes sense why I have fog lights working with side lights and cant work out how to stop this to just work on dipped and main beam on fog switch !

post-13092-0-09826400-1424540663_thumb.jpg

I have tried to make some sense from your circuit, but there are things missing.

Relay 1 pin 86 is missing - this is the other side of the coil and looks like a switch to ground

Relay 2 pin 85 is missing - (same as above) You can swap pins 85 and 86 and it should make no difference to the operation.

It looks like the column switches are a switched ground to make relay 1 work correctly. I think the blue/yellow is a ignition live.

where does the wire go from the fog switch down off the page?

The comment where you have 12 volts with fog on and then 3 volts with fog ON again doesn't make sense. Which do you mean?

Check the voltage at both ends of this wire - it may have a high resistance and be breaking somewhere.

I need to know which 12 volts is which on your circuit. I.e is it a permanent live or ignition 12 volts (switched)

You need to trace more of this circuit, start at the battery and work your way through until you get to the chassis (ground).

The fog switch part is not very clear. Have you connected two pins together? Is the part going off the page going to ground? If so, then when you switch it you seem to be shorting out the battery straight to ground which is why you are blowing fuses.

Thanks,

Simon.

Edited by Simon B

Guest Jonnyround2003

The wire on the fog switch is off the page is an earth. All the 12 volt connections are 12 volt with ignition live . What I'm tying to say with the Main beam on with ignition on it shows 3 volts at first then with full main beam on left hand stalk it goes to 12 volts so then I am able to operate the fog switch . At the moment I have two live 12 volt feeds to the fog switch one from full main beam and the other from side lights ! But then don't get put together they go to a relay first that cuts the fog switch off after ignition is turned off to stop the fog light coming back on when ignition is turned on something I had to ad on for Iva but ignor this its not anything to do with the problem i have .