Club Benfits / Keyboard Warriors

Guest Lowlife

Guest Lowlife

Recently I have noticed several individuals who have asked / challenged the benefits of joining this "club" being villified, abused or posts deleted.

I am not a "paid member" nor intend to be so (my right so please do not post abuse).

I am however bemused as to how in a free country promoting free speech on an open forum such behaviour can be justified????

If the club wishes to promote menbership surely the best way would be to embrace all opinions and suggestions??

I am at a loss as to why these individuals right to question thier peers is attacked so fervently.

I can only assume that the "boys club" is at work and that most still live in the school days of the smoking bike shed idealism. If that is so I am particularly pleased that I grew up.

I am sure abuse will follow, as it has before!

Perhaps the Forum should have a 30 day trial and then access only if paid member?????? (I wouldn't object)

As members we pay our membership, we don't get a free rolling pin or a cuddly teddy for doing so, what we get is a forum that helps people in anyway it can, we have meets up and down the country where like minded people enjoy a bit of banter, we strive to help fellow members with their builds, if this means club members paying them a visit ... Then so be it, fortunately for you and a few other community members who blatantly refuse to pay membership, we have big bunch of people that are prepared to pay the miserly fee each year to keep the forum going, keep the Rhocar presence at shows. We are also very fortunate that not only do we have loads of people paying the way for the community users we have a bunch of unpaid Rhocar staff that spare THEIR valuable time making sure the forum is running tickety boo and that Rhocar as a club stands as the biggest and friendliest kit car clubin the uk.

So if you think the forum information, the hard work put into Rhocar by commitee members and webmasters is not worth 2 packet of fags then god help the club.

Inwouldnlike to thank the members for keeping this club alive and well.

This country does not allow free speech if it did we may be able to sack the dicks that decide what is "politically correct"

Guest Alan_builder

1st abuse should not be tolerated by the moderator of this site.

As you are not a member you would not have attended our AGM last May. Collectively we wanted to see how we could improve membership. In my opinion we have made 2 camps, those who want to stop free access to advice and those who wish to continue to provide free advice.

The club pays for the web and the URL registration. This surely indicates users should contribute. On the other side much of the information is available from other sites, so who would spend money?

If you go to a kit car show the club has a stand / display area and cover for us to congregate in. All equipment which has to be paid for by someone.

There are some club membership advantages but not so many but for £15 what do you expect:-

There is a club magazine.

Priority to join events like the Le Mans trips.

A better choice of Insurance companies willing to give a discount.

At the end of the day if we all took the option not to join, there would be no friendly banter, no new topics to provide info against and no chance of you being abused as the web site would be closed.

Where do I start...best 15 quid I ever spent... the help ive had from tazzzman and mark b is worth ten times that...tazzzmann gave my car a look round and spotted a loose nut on the sliding pillars which would have been disastarous ....mark b has done bargain priced mots on both my hood and my van and cheap diagnostics on my bmw...lately hes supplied me with info and mended a part I simply couldn't have...When they need help from me with my trade or just general help ill be there for them//isn't this what its all about...then to mention discount on insurance and parts....I think 15 quid is hard to justify..it would be a bargain at triple that.....has to be the cheapest club around and the friendliest....If you lost the 5p a day it costs down the sofa you wouldn't notice.

The club needs members to survive its a small pitence to join hardly a kings ransom and as the other guys say there are worthwhile benefits. As to posts being deleted lowlife I will hold my hands up for the deleting the posts which I know your on about. The reason and there will always be one. A post was hijacked and turned into a slanging match about members benefits & club membership. The original post was a car rebuild thread. So to keep the thread as it was intended these were removed with the blessing of the topic author.

Andy

I've given up rising to to any baiting (intended or otherwise) in posts from community members. 5 members have responded so far say what great value membership is, however they shouldn't have bothered as Lowlife is exercising his right not to join.

If people can come on here, see what goes on and don't see the benefits of paying £15 to be a club member then I think we're better off without them. If they feel that they're villified or abused for questioning why they should join then maybe that's because these threads are old ground, cover nothing new and add nothing to the forum. I'm getting bored with seeing club members wasting their time justifying why they're members to people who are happy to come here for a free ride.

The forum hasn't been heavily restricted to non-club members because it was a committee decision not to do so - I don't agree with the decision but I accept it because that's how thing work and I'm still very happy to be a member. However what I would like to see ist non-members that come here just for the free information do only that and try to avoid stirring things up (possibly just for the sake of it). This point isn't aimed directly at Lowlife, it's aimed any anyone else who thinks they've got a whole 5hit load more nothingness they want to add to the discussion.

• Like 1

I'm also not a paid member, but I am a paid member of two other clubs. I haven't paid membership here because I felt the other related club provided enter value for money in the general kit car sense, and the other already offers many discounts etc. finally, other than being able to post for sale adverts and the access to the club stand at shows I don't know what benefits membership offers. Maybe I have missed it but I have never seen anything that tells me what the benefits are.

Technically 'abuse' is also free speech. You suggest that this should not be permitted or may need to be justified. Free speech is just that. Free. No justification needed. Your objection to this form of free speech suggests that the free speech you envisage would have some limits placed upon it. I don't think you can have it both ways.

You assert your right to question your peers. I'm not sure how you can regard club members as your peers if you refuse to join. Isn't your refusal to join rather stating that you do not wish peership with us.

I can only assume that the "boys club" is at work and that most still live in the school days of the smoking bike shed idealism. If that is so I am particularly pleased that I grew up.

I am sure abuse will follow, as it has before!

And you end with an abusive comment. I think you fit in here just fine. Pay up Lowlife and enjoy.

Nigel

Why does this can of worms keep getting opened, I for one is fed up with it and the negative effect it has on both the forum and the club. The only solution is as lowlife has said 30 days free then pay up or bye

Everyone has a right to participate at whatever level they want, be it a fully paid up member or a community user.

Being honest, I hold as much respect for the community users who contribute knowledge to the club as I do the fully paid up members. Naming names now... snapperpaul has given me info on my rover engine to ford gearbox project which I had over looked and agentzed has also given information in the past which has help me. Both these users are nonmembers however if we'd had restricted their access, I would not have received their input.

What I don't like seeing are community users with bugger-all posts to their name spouting sh1t to get everyone's back up just because hi-jacked posts were deleted! I cannot see anything constructive in lowlifes post other than to gain some attention.

as with everything in life, you only get out what you put in!

Or publicise the benefits of paying more? I've just asked what they are and two replies later its been ignored...

1. discount on insurance at many brokers not just one
  2. club Mag
  3. list of your local members
  4. posting in for sale and wanted sections
  5. use of club gas bbq at shows
  6. food supplied at some shows
  7. event shelters, gazebos, bunting, banners, tea coffee, and all the other club gear used by all at shows
  8. support from fellow members