Mot Test With Different Engine Present

Guest Dean Morledge

Guest Dean Morledge

Hi All,

A question for the MOT testers out there or anyone who has been through the experience...

My 2b is registered with an engine number for a pinto engine according to the log book/DVLA - I am currently replacing this with a zetec and wondered what would be tested by the tester with regards to emissions if I don't get the log book updated before taking it for an MOT test?

At the following link I have located an MOT Inspection Manual.... I don't know how accurate this is but it reads rather interesting.

"Vehicles fitted with a different engine must be tested to the requirements of whichever is older, the engine or the vehicle." So if my car is fitted with a zetec but it is registered with the older pinto engine they will test the emissions based on the pinto engine?

Hopefully someone can clarify for me.

Many thanks

Dean

Guest Dean Morledge

Standard test as this is what will be printed on the vt40, we have no engine code details when testing, to us its a 2.0 petrol.... full stop

Cheers for that Mark.... So do you think it is likely that I will still need to install a cat on the zetec engine to be able to meet the required levels? Its not been left off so far for performance reason but cost reasons so just trying to decide if I will need to purchase and install the cat before the MOT or after?

Cheers

Dean

Cheers for that Mark.... So do you think it is likely that I will still need to install a cat on the zetec engine to be able to meet the required levels? Its not been left off so far for performance reason but cost reasons so just trying to decide if I will need to purchase and install the cat before the MOT or after?

Cheers

Dean

is it an age related plate?

I believe (and Mark will correct me if I'm wrong) but the emissions are based on the first use date (or is it something else?). So i have an 37 year old Xflow engine in my car and on a smoke test only. If I put a brand new Ecoboost engine in. I will still be on the same smoke test as far as MOT are concerned.

yay

Interesting topic.

I do not have my emmissions or engine number on my V5 (paperwork completed by GBS for IVA & BUI).

Have since changed engine (new zetec which does not have an engine number).

It will be interesting to read your ifed back on the special notices for emmissions Mark