Sliding Pillar Suspension

Guest clive5550

A mate swapped from sliding pillar to full wishbone, what a difference.

Not cheap and requires standard Sierra hubs not the ones on the sliding pillar which have been modified.

I have a set of photos somewhere on how its done

as above but also does your bush have a grease nipple? i can't remember if that was a standard thing RH did for you or just a suggestion. If you don't and you have it apart i'd be tempted to add a nipple to the phosphor bronze bushing that runs on the chrome shaft.

hth

i swapped out my sliding pillar for wishbones.... big difference

are you sure they are actually solid though ? to make the suspension move, requires the track width to get narrower,,,, try putting the wheels on a magazine before you bounce on the front end...it will allow the wheels to slide

it is a dodgy arrangement for front suspension, though can be made to work

I was just thinking that......

Unlike most other cars the 2B sliding pillar suspension requires the wheels to scrub sideways as they move up and down. Just jumping up and down on the front of the car whilst it's sat still will never move it unless the wheels are on something to reduce friction and allow some side-to-side movement.

Iain

Hi Clive,

I'd agree with the others that wishbones are better, however not every one has the resources to replace them. What I will say however is that if the slidding pillars are set up correctly they can perform pretty well, especially in the tighter twistier corners. It's only in the high speed cornering that you will notice understeer.

I managed to get mine set up pretty good and had it performing really well on my 2B (others will testify to this...)

I used the standard red spring set up on mine. As you state they are pretty solid when trying to bounce them. I'd advise ensuring you have them set up properly 1st before swapping out parts.

I have attached a few notes on setting up the pillars and a few tips on mod's to carry out. Hopefully of some use 8)

Sliding pillar assy.ppt

Guest clive5550

Can i just say a huge thanks to all of you who have sent me diagrams and links with info reguarding my question as i stated im new to all this and i have been humbled by all the help and ideas, again thanks guys, clive