Question For Fellow Zero Owners!

Guest Rallyreason

Guest Rallyreason

Fellow Zero owners - I am hopefully coming to the end of my winter upgrade from a 1600 pinto to a Blacktop Zetec. This will obviously give me substantially more power. :yahoo:

I have noticed that the Zero's are running 195-50-15 all around.

This is my question: Have any of you tried different sized tyres?

I have noticed that the Westfield's and other's are running wider rear's than front's. Has anyone attempted this in the Zero and what was the outcome?

What has been the best tyres that you have had on the zero?

I currently have 195-45-15 budget Nankang fitted ( was on the car when i got it). So i will be looking at some new and hopefully better tyres to go with the extra oomph. After all whats the point of it, unless i can get the power down?

I'm not sure how wide you can go with the zero with the offset. I run 195/50/15 on mine and they do look good on the wheel it also keeps the steering responsive as well you also then have the option to swap wheels round to keep wear even. I certainly would get rid off the budgets though the car cries out for decent tyres. I took delivery yesterday of four 195/50/15 yoko paradas spec 2 £165 delivered to go on my new wheels

Andy

Guest merc190provan

The parada spec 2 is an awsome road tyre and also makes for an excellent track tyre, mine did 3500 hard miles last year and the wear rate was minimal. I have had a conversation with a chap with many trophies from racing sevens about the ultimate rear tyre size, his opinion is that you don`t need to go wider than a 195, he believes it gives more bite than a wider tyre. I also run 195x50x15`s and as said it gives you the option of a front to rear swap for wear,

Marty Smith

Guest zoomzoom

I have 195/50/15 on the front and 205/50/15 on the rear at the moment I have Toyo R-1R fitted, same as the R888 but with more cut tread. For the track I have used 195's all round with different compounds but currently have 190 Michelin slicks on the front and 200 on the rears.

The 195's are mostly on 6.5 inch width rims and the 205's on 7 inch.

The ideal size would be 185/60/13 but I'm not sure if a 13 inch rim would fit on the zero

What ever you do don't go lower than a 50 profile.

Guest Rallyreason

The Budgets are coming off as soon as i have completed the winter project. (my be a bit of a hooligan with them first) :aggressive:

Prada came standard on my Evo X, i was well impressed. But that car was very heavy and easy to get the tyres up to temperature unlike some of the other guys that was running 888's. They used to struggle until they was up to temperature.

I guess i am concerned that any tyres i get will act different on such a light car?

I will be using the car for sunday drives and track days, so a good all round tyre is needed and we live in Britain therefore rain is imminent.

Zoom zoom - Why is it not recommended to go lower than 50?

Whiz - Would you mind sharing your source for the tyres?

Guest alfaGTA

I run a set of well worn 185/60/13 toyo r888's on my mk indy... I also have a set of 195/50/15 on team dynamic pro race 1.2's shod in parada spec 2's sitting against the garage wall and only use them for going to show's. The parada's are good enough tyres for fast road use in all conditions but on track they don't match the toyo 888 (they are sports vs track tyres afterall so not a fair comparison). Not sure if the zero rear wishbone design can accept a 13" rim though but eitherway buy the best tyres you can afford. The 60 profile are much more comfortable than the 50 profile (my arse in a fibreglass seat being the decision maker).

Guest Lowlife

I had Toyo Proxy's when the car was new, turned out to be crap.

Switched to the Yoko Parada 2 and it completely changed the car.

Running 195/50/15 all round @ 20 psi

Guest zoomzoom

The tyre sidewall will keep the tread face in contact with the road surface by flexing, twisting etc and the more sidewall the easier it is up to a certain point.

Big wheels with skinny profile tyres (45, 40) look fantastic and are great for shows etc but for maximum grip go for something with a 50 on a 15 inch wheel.

Just look at F1 cars ... 13 inch rims and fat tyres.