Fuel Consumption

Guest Alasdair

Yes, but unless you've got a bottomless wallet, most people would want to balance out running cost as well, where as you may be fine with 15 - 20 mpg, I'm not, but that's my requirement, not yours. What does yours get then Gordon?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ian luxford
Ifind that having the screen off helps.

i imagine having the screen off makes a huge difference!! when a had a fiesta diesel for work if i had the sign on the roof it would not go over 80! (not that i tried off course!! :rolleyes: ) and now on my clio with the fancy mpg computer thing it is about 10mpg difference at motorway speeds.

as to why worry i think most of us when we first start using our hoods worry something is wrong because of the fuel they use so mostly all we want to hear it is normal so we can go out smiling again! oh and i wouldnt mind the diesel engine out of my clio in a hood has so much torque!! :D :D

Guest gordon_macnab

Only had the car out for a few short blasts so far, still a couple of teething problems to sort out before a long enough run. plus the speedo's not working so haven't worked it.

Goes like *bleep* of the proverbial though......

My tin top only averages the low 20's around town and thats super unleaded.

It's not eaxctly slow either though.

Gordon

Guest alan rowe

I've got no problem with fuel consumption - I was just answering the question put and thought people might like to know what mine is - sound and power is what turns me on

Jim - thanks for the complimentory words - I never thought of it as an organ but I tell you what it certainly throbs and with a small tank, visits to the feeding station are very regular

Alan

visits to the feeding station are very regular

Yes, I know just how regular. I travelled down to Le-mans with Peter & Anita, with their Rover powered hood a couple of years ago, and if we did more than 100 miles before filling up, there was panic!

The reserve can had to be used once.

Guest alan rowe

I go with that Jim - my fuel gauge is on another planet going from full to nearly empty round bends and roundabouts and when it starts to stay down at the low end it's time to panic and look for a feeding station - I make matters worse for myself as I only run on Optimax (it's worth it) so probably I do about 80/90 miles before a fill up and then only get about £10/11 in it - crazy but brilliant - it's the most insane thing i've ever done getting this monster and love every second of it

Alan

You should get more than £10 /£11 in it. Fill it up to the kneck, and a can full as well (for when you run it dry). Set the trip clock, then use the car normally untill it runs out, you've then got a good idea just how much it will really do on a tankfull, and can adjust the panic line accordingly.

Guest Alasdair

That's how I found out how small my tank is and how much the car uses! Also it makes a lot of loud explosive noises to attract my attention.

Guest alan rowe

you're dead right Jim - it's the way to know just how far I can go but to be quite honest I did think of doing something like that but didn't fancy the possibility of muck from the bottom of the tank clogging up the Holley - what do you think ?

A

you're sucking from the bottom of the tank anyway, so if there's any muck in there, you'll get it whatever you do. you only need to do it once. I can get 164 miles of France autoroute at an average speed of 90mph before my tank runs dry!

So, depending if I'm over here in England, I look for a petrol station at 120 miles, then start to worry at 150 miles, coasting down hills etc.

Over in France, we will be filling up every 100 miles. as it's about 50 miles between petrol stations.

Guest alan rowe

thanks for that - i'll give it a try and let you know - maybe i'll do it twice - once as a cruiser and once as an animal to see what the difference is

Alan