S7 3A Joints And Mounts

cb750

Just got the engine and gearbox out of my 97 3A (thanks to my wife operating the hoist and undoing the correct bolts :give_rose: ) and found that I need a new gearbox mount.

Question: Is this part a standard Sierra one as mine looks to have captive mounting nuts and the ones I have seen have only holes for nuts and bolts to mount it (difficult when its down a tunnel). Any idea of a Part Number?

Also I need 2 top ball joints for the suspension, I believe they are Transit joints but what are they? Again any idea of a Part Number?

Looked at the forum FAQs but can't find an answer!!

Rob

Guest robinj66

The top joints are http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transit-Replacement-tie-rod-drag-link-end-early-models-details-check-listing-/321069103658?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item4ac135ba2a - Transit Drag Links, I think.

This is the gearbox mount as it came off Mr Ford's best...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TYPE-9-GEARBOX-MOUNT-5-SPEED-CAPRI-GRANADA-SIERRA-RALLY-KITCAR-RACE-/300859983660?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item460ca7072c

from memory, they are "riveted" to the crossmember and these are usually drilled out so that replacements are bolted.

The above from memory so open to error :shok:

Guest robinj66

Just checked the two crossmembers I have in the garage . Definitely bell and bolt to secure the rubber mou8nt t the gearbox but both rubbers are "rivetted" to the crossmember (although one is hex headed fixings)

post-1574-0-79583200-1360618076_thumb.jpg

Guest RoborRoss

The top ball joints on my 3a have an external thread and screw into the top arm. Here is the link from when I was asking the same thing a few months back.

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=34834&hl=

And a few photos.....

Mk1 transit draglink. The eBay link was for track rod ends if the photo is correct. I ended up buying QH ones as they had the most meat on them. Sorry, don't have the part number.

Don't remember doing that. They are very close to the originals I think. Might need to ovalise the holes or make up a 3-5mm plate to spread load and allow you to drill new holes? I don't remember it being a problem but it's been in the car for 10 years and I can't remember what I had for breakfast these days.

Nigel