Fuel Prices

philshelton

after the fuel protests over 10 years ago all we have seen is prices go up and up, at that time we were paying around 79p/litre at this time the avarage world price for fuel was 54.6p per litre 44% less than uk prices. so knowing we are paying 44% more is it now time to protest by paying the price we think is fair. This would mean paying cash and not card. At to days prices we should be paying around 85p per litre, so as a protest we should put in 23.5 litres and pay £20 in cash say that is the market value for that commodity and that we dont wish to continue in the £2m per hour the oil companys are making. After all we are in the position to hagle the price as they have no way in putting it back in to there tanks from ours.

Guest Alan_builder

Take a look at the regulations.

If you fill at the advertised price you are bound to pay as you have entered into the agreement knowing the price!

Nice try Phil but if you try it I am sure you will leave the forecourt in silver bracelets.

Guest alfaGTA

Or we could don fake number plates and drive off with a full tank? Realistically we will all pay whatever the price is..... same goes for bread, milk, gas, water, council tax, electricity, beer, wine, fags, cocaine and hookers.

so that means when their display is faulty you can pay what you like then. I have seen a few doggy displays. I can see that as a issue alan but if enough people did it in the same week how can the system cope the problem we have in this country at the moment is we just keep putting up with what is thrown at us. When we are paying £2 per litre for fuel and £5 for a pint of beer we will wish we had stood up and made a point

Or we could don fake number plates and drive off with a full tank? Realistically we will all pay whatever the price is..... same goes for bread, milk, gas, water, council tax, electricity, beer, wine, fags, cocaine and hookers.

As a country we over turned poll tax may be its time we shouted about things again instead of just putting up with what is thrown at us

Take a look at the regulations.

If you fill at the advertised price you are bound to pay as you have entered into the agreement knowing the price!

Nice try Phil but if you try it I am sure you will leave the forecourt in silver bracelets.

Contract: the elements of a contract

The first step in a contract question is always to make sure that a contract actually exists. There are certain elements that must be present for a legally binding contract to be in place.

The first two are the most obvious:

• An offer: an expression of willingness to contract on a specific set of terms, made by the offerorwith the intention that, if the offer is accepted, he or she will be bound by a contract.

• Acceptance: an expression of absolute and unconditional agreement to all the terms set out in the offer. It can be oral or in writing. The acceptance must exactly mirror the original offer made.

• A counter-offer is not the same as an acceptance. A counter-offer extinguishes the original offer: you can’t make a counter-offer and then decide to accept the original offer! But…
  • A request for information is not a counter-offer. If you ask the offeror for information or clarification about the offer, that doesn’t extinguish the offer; you’re still free to accept it if you want.

It is very important to distinguish an offer from an invitation to treat – that is, an invitation for other people to submit offers. Some everyday situations which we might think are offers are in fact invitations to treat:

Goods displayed in a shop window or on a shelf.

• When a book is placed in a shop window priced at £7.99, the bookshop owner has made an invitation to treat.
  • When I pick up that book and take it to the till, I make the offer to buy the book for £7.99.
  • When the person at the till takes my money, the shop accepts my offer, and a contract comes into being.

looking at the above you could legally fill up with fuel then haggle a price even if this took all day, till you both came to agreement. If a agreement was not meet then as long as you dont move you car then they can remove the fuel you have put in. Now if you had fuel in the tank then they would have to only take what was put in at their filing station as what was in the tank prior was paid for and therefore your property. so if you thought they may have taken some of you fuel you could accuse them of theft even if they left some of theirs. I had a similar situation some years back with some machine parts and a company receiver they had bought 4 of the same part on 2 invoices and paid for 2, there were 2 on the stores shelf and the receiver said they were the 2 that had been paid for. We could not prove otherwise so that was it.

Guest aidankinnell

When you drive into the station and see the sign for 135.9 (or whatever the price is) that is the invitation to treat, you pick up the pump and take the goods is your offer at 135.9 (as you haven't countered but assumed control of the goods) and then pay which is their acceptance of the deal. Linking to the book, the sign is 7.99, you pick up that book and offer to pay (your offer), acceptance is the transfer of cash.

If you didn't want to pay the invitation to treat price then you would surely need to drive into the station, make your offer or state your terms, the garage could then agree to your terms; the contract is formed and you then fill up and pay.

Might be wrong in the above so only my opinion!

Agree however that prices are too high.

you will never beat the tax man, your fuel tax and all other tax is whats keeps the immigrants in council houses and healthcare (a&e last week half full of foreighners) buys that woman with 11 kids a massive house and horses. the best fuel protest would be absolutly everyone stay at home and go on strike and refuse to use cars vans lorrys planes trains etc how much would they loose in tax in two weeks. this country thanks to labour is screwed but still better than most

Another way of getting one over on the fuel companies is for the entire country to boycott one manufacturer for a whole month or two..... That would cost them massively.

Problem is though, you'd never get unity on a national scale to achieve it.

And by boycotting one supplier for a month or two at a time, you'd still have to visit another supplier for your fuel and pay their costs.

Either way, the fuel companies will get their slice of the cake while the Government get their larger slice of cake with the cherry on top and sprinkles and fresh cream! (70% odd is tax in one way or another on our fuel - this is what is crippling the cost!).

You are still stuffed, unless you become an ecomentalist and cycle/walk everywhere, which in reality, is unworkable as we all require the internal combustion engine to deliver our goods, take us on holiday, take us shopping, to work etc etc.

Even if there were national action that was effective, you would still be screwed as Tax would be imposed on something else to make the shortfall. Christ, they are even going to 'tax' spare bedrooms.

Look out, the daylight tax will be making a comback!! I'm off to brick up a window or 2

Al's right, boycotting one forecourt does absolutely nothing.

The only way you'll drive down the price of the stuff is to buy it less - old supply and demand - which means using the car less, or reducing how much fuel you use. I don't believe the UK is the worst in the world with how much of our fuel cost is tax.

I'd love to see everyone in the UK down the car for a day and try and go about their business by public transport, just to give the government the message :) can you imagine the chaos? The lost income for corporations?! Imagine a week-long refusal to use anything that involved buying petrol or diesel from a forecourt anywhere in the UK, and to use the so-called alternatives that we apparently have at our hand :D....

• Like 1

You will always be screwed--BECAUSE ITS THE LAW--- years ago our industrial estate had a rates strike;which was supported 100% by the owners & tenants. We've got them (government) stuffed we thought. Oh no you haven't they said & prosecuted 2 or 3 for non-payment,they went away with rates bill & a fine;so they took another few,same result. After 3 court cases all with hefty fines the protest collapsed.

Government know we can't get by with-out fuel which is why its taxed so heavily. Check your history,steam transport was driven off the roads by crippling road fund licence,WHY; because you could fuel those engines with just about anything that would burn & our masters couldn't figure a way of taxing wood & straw.