2 Litre Pinto Turning Over Very Slowly

eddieH

Hi,

We're struggling to get our recently-fitted 2 litre pinto to start because it's turning over so slowly on the starter. Here's what we've tried so far:

Engine tightness - it can be turned by hand using a spanner on the front pulley so it's definitely free to rotate;

Battery - fully charged - also connected with jump leads to another car with its engine running makes little or no difference;

Starter motor - tried the one from our old 1.6 engine and another from a 2 litre - both struggle to turn the engine over;

Ignition timing is set about right, based on the pulley marks (and disconnecting the spark plug leads makes no difference);

Earth leads - all seem fine.

Taking the spark plugs out allows it to turn slightly quicker, but not much.

I'd be really grateful if anybody has any other suggestions of what the problem might be?

Many thanks,

Edward

Seeing as you have tried other starters Ed, it does sound like poor engine earth;have a continuity check of battery earth to engine resistance. Could also try using one of your jump leads between battery negative & bellhousing near starter motor to ensure a good return path.

Tied up this week-end but free otherwise if you need someone else to stand around scratching head.

Another thing is to try testing for a voltage across the earth strap. There should be next to zero volts. If you have any (when turning over) then the earth strap would need replacing.

As others have said, get a good jump cable (not the cheapo ones) and get another good connection from block to chassis.

Also if that doesn't work, try jumping between other large cables end to end (I.e double that one up) until you find the one causing the problem.

Simon.

Guest Tim Norman

I used to put an additional earth strap from the starter motor to the chassis just to make sure. I used heavy duty welding cable and made my own cables. That and make sure your timing is right as said above.

Hi Edd

Did you swap the dizzy over from the points one? If so did you set the timimg before removing it?

As said check the earth cables too.

If your still having problems after that give me a shout and I will come over and see if I can sort it for you.

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Edd,

If its not your leads or timing:-

Are you sure 2 of the starters are for 2L Pintos?

The 1.6 won't turn the 2L except as you say slowly. I think you have to check the part number to tell.

Another thought, could the problem be a poor +ve contact being provided by the starter solenoid, this was the problem with Florins starter;solenoid contacts were badly pitted. Can eliminate this one by a jump lead from starter motor (other side of solenoid) direct to battery; just dab it on the batt. teminal when you are sure your motor connection is ONLY on the motor +ve otherwise LOADS of sparks.

Another thought for you....As I had this on my 2B which took me months to sort out and cost me several starters and a high torque starter.

Do you have an engine start stop button and is this how you are starting the car? If so change the button switch. My starter button switch had gone faulty, would still work but engine struggled to turn over. Changed the starter button after exhausting all other options and problem was sorted....

It does sound electrical and more than likely the earth connection from the engine.

Unlikely to be the cause of your problem, but just incase I have seen the following faults which also caused the same slow starter problem you describe...;

1) Years ago I got myself a cheap lightened flywheel off ebay but the ring gear had the incorrect number of teeth and although the starter seemed to mesh okay, it tightened up as the flywheel rotated because of it being a couple of teeth out. We only discovered by chance when we looked into the bellhouse and could see the teeth on the flywheel had been grinding whereas the starter teeth were fine.

2) I've also seen a car where one of those big red electrical isolator keys had gone dodgy and wasn't giving very good connection. Once removed everthing turned over fine.

Best not to feed the starter load via the remote isolater switch.

I had installed it that way, but it eventually burned out, the engine kept running from the alternator & blew the ECU.

Not expensive but broken down on the Mway really ticked off the boss who was passengering, & difficult to replace.

Bob