Poker Pop-Up?

Guest RoborRoss

I actually thought I had said something earlier but when i looked back. I noticed it was in the mods section for that I apologise . When I commented in the other thread i didn't put two and two together as my knowledge of computers is limited. I can't speak for anyone else but I thought I did point it out. But yeah I'd of thought it would of been posted about the ads to make members aware

Guest RoborRoss

Is this getting a little out of hand? I'm sure that when the the external ad links were put on this site (before my time here) it was not done with any malicious intent, simply a way to help generate revenue to pay for the hosting and upkeep of the forum. The problem with permitting external ads and links to your website is that you are then not in control of what content can be pushed out to users, members or not.

Surely the easiest thing to do would be to get the compromised external content links removed and if additional revenue is required to keep running the site then either be more selective regarding who the external content providers are or request additional funds to maintain and support the site from the club?

Unfortunately there are a lot like you & me Richard; being a mod has not made me computer savvy;I wish it had but if things go wrong with this black box it's left for my daughter to sort out. I only remembered the ad post when it was pointed out to me.

• Like 1

Unfortunately there are a lot like you & me Richard; being a mod has not made me computer savvy;I wish it had but if things go wrong with this black box it's left for my daughter to sort out. I only remembered the ad post when it was pointed out to me.

you have an excuse bob being the wrong side of 40 rich has only just made 30 ! no excuses there ....

you have an excuse bob being the wrong side of 40 rich has only just made 30 ! no excuses there ....

I can use them okay, I just can't fix them when they go wrong! :) I was brought up with steam engines, welding and machining as ways to spend every minute of my spare time, not staring at a monitor like my mates did! It's not done me any harm career wise as you've seen first hand!

And when I'm being told by people who know more than me about computers that my machines at fault and not the site, I'm going to take their word for it!

I hope we'll get some feed back from the committee when this virus pop up has been deleted.

Guest RoborRoss

I don't think anyone should be blamed for this really. It looks like a third party external ad (nothing to do with the people running the site and out of their control) has been compromised and is attempting to download this Trojan when visiting this site not logged in.

Remove the external content, remove the problem.

Once the issue with the external content has been resolved, put the ads back if it helps generate revenue.

Guest ethanicus

Hi All,

This is a website issue as I have just built a brand new virtual image of windows 7. As soon as I connected to the internet for the first time I went to www.rhocar.org and the poker popup flashed up. No virus, but just not the best popup to have on a home page.

Guest oddsocks

Again the person who can answer all is quiet! Like most on here i thought i had a virus on my computer but it only happens on this site, yes im not a pay up member this year as we already discussed in earlier posts. But i get this pop up when i am signed in and so do many others by the looks of things so i guess its another benefit of being a member-getting pop up viruses!!!!

Guest RoborRoss

I'm concerned this post is doing more harm than good. We should not be pointing fingers. A problem has been identified, lets give people a chance to fix it. Moderators, if you feel this is getting out of hand, then delete this topic. It was not intended to stir up a can of worms (apologies for mixed metaphors).

Agreed. I do know that Matt does a huge amount of free work to keep this forum going - far more I'm sure than any of us appreciate. I'm sure there'll be an official comment in due course.

For the record, I've never seen this pop-up. I use Chrome and am permanently logged in ... no problem.

the only person who can sort this is Mat who has not been on for a while as far as I know the only people who WILL NOT see the pop ups are paid up members who SIGN IN. the only way i can see the ads if i visit the site as a guest by not signing in.

Some times you have to be careful what you wish for.

Around the end of 2012 members were clamouring for something to be done to stop non members visiting the forum and to encourage them to become paid up members. In response to this Mat added Google advertising on January 29th and since then people have been experiencing pop ups when they log into the forum.

This is not something the committee sanctioned, as we have said before the forum belongs to Mat and he does what he sees fit with it to make it work for him.

Mat hasn't been active here for a few days, but I'm sure when he next is and sees your comments and concerns he will deal with it accordingly.

I myself haven't seen the pop ups, but I stay logged in so that may be why

• Like 1