Poker Pop-Up?

Guest RoborRoss

Guest Lowlife

I Visited the site yesterday, automatically signed in as usual. Poker pop up flashed up, I quickly closed it and my antivirus software went into melt down.

I have only just managed to get rid of the virus it planted, works laptop!! Think Matt needs to clean up the site

Signing straight back off

I'm really not sure that it is the site that causes this. I use Chrome and addons like "Better popup blocker" which is actually ENABLED for this site together with "Flash block" and Adblock Plus.

I also use Avast antivirus and have the firewall turned on on both this machine and the home router.

I have never yet seen this poker popup that everyone mentions. (Thankfully !)

Simon.

Wow there is some dumb crap on here - you seriously believe we would "Purposely" do popups and infect pcs etc. 15 years of running this forum, you think I want more money... you insult me!!!!!!!!!!!

The only change that has been made is the inclusion of Google Ads, and popups are strictly against Googles T&Cs. I've been unable to see this advert yet - I'm trying to figure out why this may be happening, but it would be more useful if anyone who gets a popup tells me what browser they are using and email me a copy of the webpage source code, so I can see where it's getting in , how and clear it up...

• Like 1

Guest aidankinnell

Mat,

Will PM you the source code (34 pages?!), using Windows 7 with IE10 at home, not sure about work pc.

All fine on Chrome and iOS, just windows where I see an issue.

Thanks for looking into this

Aidan

Guest RoborRoss

Easy to replicate. Internet explorer 9 here, no popup blocker, home page but not logged in. Although some are saying they are getting the poker popup logged in.

I don't think anyone has said it's been done purposely and it looks like external content causing the problem.

Many people are seeing this only when visiting Rhocar.

I think 'dumb crap' is a bit harsh when there does seem to be a problem somewhere and members are concerned and have been seeing this for weeks. I only spotted it after using a profile without a popup blocker. There have been quite a few posts explaining how to replicate this. Popups may be against Googles T&C's but something seems to have slipped through.

Guest Admin

"Dumb crap a bit harsh" quote "So by the sounds of it this poker pop-up is a deliberate thing that rhocar have implement to presumably make a bit of money via advertising and thus help keep the club going!" S E R I O U S L Y !

This seems to be affecting a lot of sites, currently rebuilt some IPB caches to see if that helps, following a topic on IPB as well.

If you still get the advert please let me know and I'll spend many more hours trying to work out what the problem is, and take all the abuse as well... nothing better to do with my time of course.

Hi,

whilst i can see you are upset at posts which you see as aimed at you i am quite surprised at your response. I too respect that you work on keeping the website going but when there are serious concerns about malware/virus's coming from this site i would have expected an entirely different response.

If i ever suspected one of my sites as having a bad feed containing virus popups i would immediately take the feed off and investigate, asking as many people as possible for examples so i could ensure it doesn't continue to happen or happen again.

I would also put a news item explaining the problem and suggesting that people run a virus scan on their computers and link to some decent programs (as many people have done in this thread).

Numerous people on here were convinced it was their computers that had the problem and have wasted their time checking and installing programs. People who have been infected may now have to spend time cleaning or worst case rebuilding their pc's. So yes i am sorry you will have to spend time working out what the problem is to make sure the damage is minimised for your web visitors.

Whilst i obviously don't think you would ever put a malicious piece of software on the server i think the point of the statement was that it was not that your server had been hacked but that it was coming from an ad feed that had been put on intentionally (but without knowing it was doing harm).

If you would like any help please let me know and i will do what i can.

• Like 2