Engine Immobiliser Thingie

Jon Bradbury

Its the "Loom of Doom" scenario...

I have taken the alarm unit out of my loom and also all the sub looms going to the rear and front doors (leccy windows and other crap) and now my fuel pump won't start. I tried connecting +ve from the battery to the relay and it runs OK. I think I may have immobilised my engine... permanently :(

Any ideas?

(PS, its a 2.0L DOHC from '91)

A hopefully simple solution. When you stripped your donor you should have found the fuel pump inertia switch in the spare wheel well connected to the pump by a short fat run of black/red wire. Button on this needs to be depressed. Its there to switch off the fuel pump in case of a crash. Pump is fed via fuse 23 which is fed from a timed five blade relay numbered 81 in Haynes. I don't know what the pins are numbered but if you can see under it to identify the fat black/red wire this should be in continuity with the fuel pump wire in the boot. You have got an earth to the fuel pump?

Nigel

Nice try but no coconut Nigel :)

I checked the inertia switch. The red / black wire goes all the way to the relay and if I give that +12 volts the pump starts up. Bloody noisy it is too.

Thanks anyway..

Perhaps I chopped too much (I only took a little bit out of it - you know, the door loom bits and the alarm).

JonB

Jon,

the black and red wire from the pump goes to the engine management relay D, this relay is operated by the engine management relay XI. The alarm cuts the power from the ignition switch to this relay, so you need to connect the black and yellow wire from the ignition switch to the black and yellow wire on the relay XI.

Les

Les,

I have tried to turn the engine over, and when I do the pump starts up. There was a 1/2 second delay between me releasing the ignition switch and the pump stopping again.

Some ECU thingie is obviously controlling it, so it runs only when the motor is running or is being started. I think it is working, but I would have to try a proper startup (ie, with fuel) to be sure.

I did connect the black/yellow wires together after removing the alarm - this must be the primary immobilisation circuit (handy to know if I wire another alerm into it).

Nigel, there is no other alarm / immobiliser wired in.

Thanks

JonB

The fuel pump behaviour sounds about right for an EFi. It should come on briefly with the ignition and then stop. It only comes on again if the distributor rotates. This could be your final check if you already have the dizzy removed, or turn the engine over on the starter and the pump should re-start too, but other than that leave it until you're ready for it to fire up.

Ant