Tintop Gearbox/clutch Problems

ZeroKnowledge

picked up box from scrappie & ordered clutch bits.

hopefully can get a centring tool made at work.

never changed box or clutch before, any hints/tips would be appreciated

cheers Paul

so many other things to sort, no time to get out in the zero !!!!!!!!

I've used a broom handle with electricians tape wrapped around it to make an aligning tool in the past (Vauxhall truck engine - the broom handle was the perfect size for the spigot bearing). On other stuff I've used wooden dowels or bits of metal bar that are the right size (or were made the right size) for the spigot bearing and then layers of tape to increase the diameter where the clutch plate wants to be. Works as well as my mates Snap-On tool with it' assortment of bushes (which are never quite the right size for the car you are working on so they need tape anyway).

I've got what is supposed to be a proper aligning tool but it's plastic so tends to bend under the weight of a clutch plate and never actually worked right.

However the absolute best aligining tool I have ever used is for Ford gearboxes - it's the input shaft (or at least part of one) from a scrap gearbox. Type-9's and MT75's just see to drop into place when I've used it - I've always assumed it's because the "tool" is EXACTLY the right size rather than to within the nearest millimeter or so.

From the sounds of it you are going to have a scrap gearbox halfway through your job so it might be worth just taking the angry grinder to it and lopping the input shaft off to align the clutch.

Of course this is assuming you are changing the clutch........ Just swapping the box won't necessitate disturbing the clutch. Pulling the gearbox out of a FWD car isn't so much fun that you are going to want to do it again in 6 months if it needs a clutch then so I can see the argument for changing it as a matter of course whilst you are in there but was there anything wrong with the clutch to start with? and how much longer is an old Almera going to last before the front crossmember has rusted away anyhow?

Iain

cheers for info Iain-

yes iam doing the clucth, too many people have said I was daft not to.

may need to use the aligining tool tip as fitters at work are too busy putting new production lines in.

front cmember not too bad, mot no probs just needed front spring

my tintop had a funny noise from gearbox turned out to be a bearing on main shaft of box it lasted for a week then smashed to bits so had to put another box on and changed clutch at same time as did not want to risk having to change it six month later.i use a extension bar from socket set as lining tool then double check with looking at it sqaure on if eneough room. just remember support engine either from top or under neath.