Theducks Build To Date In (Not So) Brief (Anymore)

theduck

With this completed I decided to have a go at the nose cone.

Base of etch primer

58FA02BA-7E4E-44C2-A700-9DF52FBDE8C8-686-000000F5C7794776.jpg

And painted white

191B575F-D334-4BCB-BE06-40BF1124DEE8-686-000000F5D79FD620.jpg

I think I'm going to mask off and paint the metal side panels in satin black, letting paint harden first though.

Pretty happy with the finish overall though think I may need another coat on the nose cone to get it looking perfect.

I ran with twin 40 Dellortos for a couple of years and never connected up the choke. Just two dabs on the throttle moments before starting operates the accelerator jets which richen the start mixture. Couple of dabs of the throttle as it starts to get the revs up and no need for the choke.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit fed up with the car at the moment. I keep going out to work on it / tidy up to make it easier to work in it, and I end up messing with the engine.

I'm very tempted right now to take the 40s off and go back to the weber 34 as I can't seem to get a setup that works on the 40s, though I really don't want to have to do that. I have had it running on them but struggle to start it and once running its difficult to keep running unless hold revs high, though its the starting that's the real issue. I thought I had jets etc now all selected close enough to give me a working setup, but clearly I've got something very wrong.

I did think it was my ignition setup but having fitted the accuspark with blackbox and then tweaked this I am happy that its not that, again unless I have got something comepletly wrong that I just can't see.

Other than the obvious reasons for getting held up and fed up with not being able to sort the engine running, the issue is the car is very difficult to push in and out of my garage, and also very difficult to work on in the garage, especially with the list of jobs I have left, so the engine issues means I then get fed up as its difficult to get other jobs done.

whinge over.

Guest mower man

Keep the faith mate !! ,it is a pain at times but basics and start again , webers are not my choice but DO WORK , having read your posts I would say you have either an idle circuit prob in the carbs or an air /vac leak ,every weber set up I ve played with would always start with 2/3 pumps of the throttle and leave the choke /cold start well alone ! , manifold to head joint ,o rings on carbs to manifold vac pipe to servo , clean carbs and blow out with compessed air and if as you say jettings are good it SHOULD start with a couple of pumps ,hold a smiggen of throttle on and you should in a couple of mins have a an idle situatiuon HTH ,its not a get at but experience of a lot of years mower man :clapping: :acute: :drinks:

Hi duck! It's a bummer when you feel this low in a build.....but the high's when it's all working are worth it and you soon forget about the sh1t times!!

You nose cone looks mint!! Great job and the car will be awesome!!!

You probably done this but its worth mentioning....

Start with some basics....make sure the cam belt hasn't slipped a tooth.....get a timing light on it when it's running....check some redex through the carbs!!!

Assuming all that is okay.....it probably is the carbs....and more than likely the idle jets, mixture screws....

It might be worth posting your carb setup....jet sizes, emulsion tubes...air correction jets....although whatever setup you've got wouldn't explain your problem :(

Stick with the 40's...they are worth it :)

Stay with it mate.

Which carb to manifold plates they you used? The standard type with the O rings (right) or the miss happ type (left)

The standard type have been known to have the O ring slip off and jam up on the butterfly and let air in at the joint between the carb and manifold or get sucked into the head inlet. The miss happ are the ones to fit as the O ring is bonded to the plate.

Also this may be some help to you.

http://7faq.com/owba...berCarburettors

post-936-0-70601000-1378587217_thumb.jpg

post-936-0-01973000-1378587312_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. I'm going to go back to the weber 34 for now so I can get going on the other jobs and get the car finished and shelve the dellortos until I have some time and money to take Brumster up on his very kind offer of getting it to aldon for them to setup.

First job (after the shopping...) fit the weber and get it out the garage!